WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Vermont in April

For those in the know, is there snow typically in VT between Killington and NH in April? Yes I'm aware of Vermud.
    Thanks

The state of Vermont and the GMC officially close the trails during mud season and April is mud season. Do the trail sand yourself a favor and go elsewhere. April in the Whites next door is generally regarded as the hardest month for hikers as the snow pack sticks around in shady area and still can be quite deep despite it looking dry in the front country. Postholing in snowshoes can happen and it sucks.

It is snowing in Burlington today

Snow over 3,000 feet is likely in April, though mostly on north facing slopes, cold hollows, and shaded areas. Any snow pack of size will likely be compromised much as Peakbagger describes. Typically trails on Mt. Mansfield close in mid-April through Memorial Day, however the relatively warm winter and early spring advancing the thaw may close up trails earlier. You should consult the Green Mountain Club website for trail conditions and closures as your planned date approaches at https://www.greenmountainclub.org/hiking/trail-updates/

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

As usual, whenever transplants to Vermont or Northern New England start to see temps in the 40's in March, they think Spring is coming. It's not. Even though this has been a mild winter, there's still plenty of snow out there. The snow pack on Mt. Mansfield historically peaks mid-April, and there will be plenty of snow in southern Vermont as well. Where there isn't snow, there will be mud.

As already noted above, we got 2 feet of snow in Central Vermont today, and the GMC strongly discourages hiking on the LT prior to Memorial Day.

All that said, the AT from Sherburne Pass to Hanover NH might be passable a month from now, but I'd have a plan B ready.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If you drop me a private message on WB, I'd be happy to do a little scouting for you. Killington isn't far from my house.

BTW, Not sure of VT snow totals but NH and ME just got a big snow dump 12 plus inches.

++ New Posts ++