WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Is Walmart going to squash Swayer water filters???

3rd lunch chat.
    Failed to mention, it looks like Wally removed Sawyer filters from their shelves. So if you are at one check the clearance isle.

$60 for the Sawyer on their website.
    Wally’s hollow tube filter claims 5,000 liters.

Maybe it’s just the one store I stopped at. Will check the next Wally’s along the way.

If you use and like Sawyer filters, please do your best to try and stick with them because they do so much good getting clean water and mosquito protection to many impoverished people around the world.

Thanks for sharing this. It will change my resupply plans on my Nobo flip flop this year

Thanks for this, especially with the hiking season just starting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The WakiWaki filter I found on Amazon is made in China. The Sawyer is made in the USA. I don’t know if Sawyer gets any components from China.

This side of the dirt
    Images

A quick check and Swayer website still lists Wal-Mart as one of Our Trusted Retailers and Wal-Mart's web lists Swayer products so it may have been that individual store that petedelisio mentioned.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Checked our local Walmart in Georgia today. No Sawyer, only filter in stock was the knockoff Chinese made brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockernut View Post
    Checked our local Walmart in Georgia today. No Sawyer, only filter in stock was the knockoff Chinese made brand.
    Good way for Walmart to lose more business to Amazon (or REI or local hiking gear stores).

I prefer the Versaflow filter by Hydroblu. I think it's better than the Sawyer.

Images

Default Filter capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Good way for Walmart to lose more business to Amazon (or REI or local hiking gear stores).
    I don’t think so. Well they’ll lose some, but I think they will gain many.
    Swayer claims “Absolute 0.1 micron filtration “
    Which means essentially no holes are larger than 0.1 microns.

Walmart’s outdoor brand claims 0.01 micron filtration but I’d bet that isn’t absolute and that is probably some of the smallest hole/filtering size and some objects larger than 0.1 will get by.
    ………………………….
    I’m sure the Vast Majority of Swayer filters sold in the U.S. are/were sold thru Walmart BnM to your average Joe once or twice a year weekend car camper, the ave. Jane hunter, average novice bushcrafter, average prep a tiny bit prepper and semi hardcore prepper and hardcore all the above too.
    And most of those who look into filtering size will be dooped by their marketing numbers.

And they are cheaper.

Unless I lose my bet.

I hope Dan Becker (recently did an interview with the owner of Swayer), Outdoor Gear review and others investigate the filtration of these and report on it.
    Last edited by petedelisio; 03-17-2024 at 12:03. Reason: Ammendment

The WakiWaki filters at Walmart claim 0.1 microns, not 0.01 microns. Sawyer also claims 0.1 microns.

Images

Default Cool water

Was referring to the outdoor brand thats about $18+ that claims 0.01microns on the website (but we all know how websites get technical specs wrong, so that might need to be called out quickly)…

And as said stated earlier, yes sawyer claims 0.1 microns……. But they are the only ones that claim “0.1 microns ABSOLUTE” which is a huge difference from just 0.1 microns.
    Absolute Meaning (correct me if I’m wrong) nothing bigger than 0.1, maybe that’s just sawyer mambo Jambi speak.

Haven’t seen waki waki.
    Didn’t check what their life straws said.

There is some kind of pod filter that I just glanced at, looks like you drop into your bottle in the hardware department with sink and pitcher filters (looking to see if they put sawyers there).
    Last edited by petedelisio; 03-17-2024 at 19:59. Reason: To edit

Images

Default Outdoor filter

The following copy paste is for the Outdoor filter that looks like the sawyer mini from wallys website…..

This water filter straw can effectively remove the bacteria in the water to provide clean, safe water. It is perfect for outdoor camping, hiking, backpacking, etc.

Features:

* 0.01-micron hollow-fiber UF membrane removes 99.9999% of waterborne particles and impurities, providing safe clean drinking water.
    * Attaches to the included drinking pouch, or using the straw to drink directly from the water source, also fits the water bottle with 28mm threads.
    * Compact size fits in the palm and weighs just 1.7 ounces, made from durable ABS material to ensure long service life. Filter rated up to 5000L.
    * The full package includes a small filter straw, drinking pouch, extension tube.
    * Perfect for outdoor adventure, emergency preparedness, camping, hiking, backpacking, traveling, survival, etc.

Specification:

Material: ABS + TPR + Silicone
    Color: Blue / Orange / Army green / Camouflage / Green (optional)

Filter Capacity: 5,000L (1320 Gallons)
    Filter Accuracy: Min. 0.01 micron
    Flow Rate: Max. 800ml / min
    Dimension: 14.8 * 3.6cm / 5.8 * 1.4in
    Package Size: 14.8 * 9 * 6cm / 5.8 * 3.5 * 2.4in
    Package Weight: 132g / 4.6oz

Package Includes:
    1 * Water Filter Straw

1 * Drinking Pouch
    1 * Extension Tube
    1 * Cleaning Injector
    Last edited by petedelisio; 03-21-2024 at 12:59. Reason: Ammend

Good info thanks

Images

Default Typos

Warning,
    I believe the 0.01 micron filtration stated by the vendor in my last copy paste is an on purpose typo.
    And is most likely 0.1 micron
    Last edited by petedelisio; Yesterday at 10:11. Reason: Clarification

++ New Posts ++