WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1

    Default Replace boxer waistband with drawstring, which material to use?

    It makes no sense to pay 40 dollars for a pair of boxers and throw them out in 6 months because of a stretched waistband. Doing all the work to put another waistband on every 6 months does not make sense either. I want to add a drawstring but I'm not sure what material to use.

    The patagonia boxers are made out of Tencel which is branded Lyocel. The two problems I have is 1, which material is good for a permanent waistband with draw string replacement?and 2. where to source it from.

    Here are the boxers for reference - https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...ocks-underwear

  2. #2

    Default

    Perhaps the easiest method to cinch failed elastic bands on shorts may only need a couple of well anchored belt loops at the front of the boxers to pull the shorts tighter to the waist and secure with an old shoelace or soft cording material like that found in sweatpants would probably be best.


    I would use cotton for the waistband and securing the draw string as it's absorbent, easy to work with, and likely will not fail once it's sown into place. You can find that stuff at JoAnns or any fabric shop nearby who have people who can help in fabric selection once you explain what you are trying to do.

  3. #3

    Default

    You should just return them(Manufacturer customer service). I don't mind paying high dollar for apparel but my expectation is raised as the price rises. For reference I typically get 3-4 years out of a pair of exficio boxers, strong waistbands. However if you wanted the most durable of drawstrings a nice leather cord would last for years.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Perhaps the easiest method to cinch failed elastic bands on shorts may only need a couple of well anchored belt loops at the front of the boxers to pull the shorts tighter to the waist and secure with an old shoelace or soft cording material like that found in sweatpants would probably be best.


    I would use cotton for the waistband and securing the draw string as it's absorbent, easy to work with, and likely will not fail once it's sown into place. You can find that stuff at JoAnns or any fabric shop nearby who have people who can help in fabric selection once you explain what you are trying to do.

    That is a definite option thanks for the idea.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    You should just return them(Manufacturer customer service). I don't mind paying high dollar for apparel but my expectation is raised as the price rises. For reference I typically get 3-4 years out of a pair of exficio boxers, strong waistbands. However if you wanted the most durable of drawstrings a nice leather cord would last for years.
    Ex Officio is the other boxer I use. The waistband on those lasted even less time than the Patagonia. I'm not sure the stretched waistband falls under normal wear and tear for either, I'll have to check. Either way its a bult in obscelence for boxers that have material that will last much, much longer than the waistband. Manufacterers are not likely to change the elastic band problem for obvious reasons.

    A sew on yourself draw string waist band option is a nice small business just waiting to happen. Ideally it would be something that couled be done with a straight stitc, a zigzag being the second opiton.

    The question of what material to use reamins.
    Last edited by VeganHiker; 02-27-2024 at 17:35.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-04-2017
    Location
    Central CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    477

    Default

    I use Smartwool merino boxers and they have a 2 year warrantee that I have used, also the waist band seems to last the longest as the wool fades out and even becomes see through in spots when they get bad. Still I usually get more then 2 years of good use before they would even be eligible for the warrantee...
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHiker View Post
    Ex Officio is the other boxer I use. The waistband on those lasted even less time than the Patagonia. I'm not sure the stretched waistband falls under normal wear and tear for either, I'll have to check. Either way its a bult in obscelence for boxers that have material that will last much, much longer than the waistband. Manufacterers are not likely to change the elastic band problem for obvious reasons.

    A sew on yourself draw string waist band option is a nice small business just waiting to happen. Ideally it would be something that couled be done with a straight stitc, a zigzag being the second opiton.

    The question of what material to use reamins.
    If your only getting a few months out of them, and others are getting much longer maybe look into how you are cleaning the garment? Dryer heat too high? a certain chemical cleaner? I think bleach deteriates elastic much quicker than light soap.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

  8. #8

    Default

    Somehow a drawstring under a hip belt seems like it would be troublesome…

  9. #9

    Default

    I wonder if sweat has an impact on degrading the elastic waistband. Maybe rotating two pairs on a hike, with the pair being worn for the day rinsed at night. Synthetic materials usually dry pretty quick.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHiker View Post
    It makes no sense to pay 40 dollars for a pair of boxers and throw them out in 6 months because of a stretched waistband. Doing all the work to put another waistband on every 6 months does not make sense either. I want to add a drawstring but I'm not sure what material to use.

    The patagonia boxers are made out of Tencel which is branded Lyocel. The two problems I have is 1, which material is good for a permanent waistband with draw string replacement?and 2. where to source it from.

    Here are the boxers for reference - https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...ocks-underwear
    Spending $40 on a pair of boxers that need to have a drawstring sewn into them doesn't make much sense. Maybe a three pack for $40 but I still wouldn't bother if I had to sew them because they are essentially quitters. I wouldn't pay that much either for a three pack. Free ballin' wouldn't cost you a penny .
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Spending $40 on a pair of boxers that need to have a drawstring sewn into them doesn't make much sense. Maybe a three pack for $40 but I still wouldn't bother if I had to sew them because they are essentially quitters. I wouldn't pay that much either for a three pack. Free ballin' wouldn't cost you a penny .
    Have ya ever seen a gator free ballin?
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Have ya ever seen a gator free ballin?
    Heard one singing a time or two.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If your only getting a few months out of them, and others are getting much longer maybe look into how you are cleaning the garment? Dryer heat too high? a certain chemical cleaner? I think bleach deteriates elastic much quicker than light soap.

    The exofficio boxer waist bands are worse than the patagonia waist bands. Waistband material looks the same as it was. https://www.exofficio.com/men/underw...116055782.html That is beside the point though. It is built in obscelence due to the elastic that could be remedied with a draw string.

    The wasteful elastic waistband is built in obscelence, its time to admit the capitalists have played us for fools. Even cotton tighty whiteys should have a drawstring. Not that I would wear such a thing. Females demand draw strings or some other fastener for your panties. Lets DIY and force the capitalists to change their wasteful waist bands and manufactured osbscelence.
    Last edited by VeganHiker; 02-28-2024 at 19:27.

  14. #14

    Default

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-12-2006
    Location
    northern illinois
    Posts
    4,536
    Images
    2

    Default

    Drawcord Elastic Waistband - Drawstring Elastic

    Elastic that has the drawstring incorporated into it. When pulled the cord will extend to twice the length of the elastic. Great for pajamas, warm-up pants and drawstring style pants.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqlKYN7bDgs

    Screenshot 2024-02-28 4.32.42 PM.png

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Spending $40 on a pair of boxers that need to have a drawstring sewn into them doesn't make much sense. Maybe a three pack for $40 but I still wouldn't bother if I had to sew them because they are essentially quitters. I wouldn't pay that much either for a three pack. Free ballin' wouldn't cost you a penny .
    Nudity has been made a crime and it will cost you a lot of money. Its tyrannical i know but its how they the prude religious structure operates.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Drawcord Elastic Waistband - Drawstring Elastic

    Elastic that has the drawstring incorporated into it. When pulled the cord will extend to twice the length of the elastic. Great for pajamas, warm-up pants and drawstring style pants.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqlKYN7bDgs

    Screenshot 2024-02-28 4.32.42 PM.png
    Interesting. That is an option but then why not sew in a draw string which can be easier to attach and skip the elastic altogether.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHiker View Post
    Nudity has been made a crime and it will cost you a lot of money. Its tyrannical i know but its how they the prude religious structure operates.
    Shorts without briefs is really what is meant there. Just don't mansplay even if you've got the room.

    Some of my hiking shorts have been $5 clearance rack swim trunks from Walmart with the mesh removed. Those have a drawstring. Navy blue or black and at least 2 pairs that looked just like tan hiking shorts.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-12-2006
    Location
    northern illinois
    Posts
    4,536
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHiker View Post
    Interesting. That is an option but then why not sew in a draw string which can be easier to attach and skip the elastic altogether.
    Retains tension as you loose girth at the end of the day, early morning.
    Last edited by zelph; 02-28-2024 at 21:55.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If your only getting a few months out of them, and others are getting much longer maybe look into how you are cleaning the garment? Dryer heat too high? a certain chemical cleaner? I think bleach deteriates elastic much quicker than light soap.
    This seems like the right question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •