WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rutlan-d VT to Mass Line

I am in the start of planning(Dreaming) phase for a hike from Rutland Vt to Mass Line. I think I can do it at my slow speed in 9 days. I would rather not carry 9 days of food. In looking at the map how hard is the hitch in to Manchester center, near the Bromley trailhead? Or is there cell service there so I can arrange for a shuttle. Or Should I just suck it up and start with 9 days of food and enjoy the lighter pack towards the end of the trip. Walking faster so it is shorter is not a real option.
    Thanks
    RDL

What time of year were you thinking? The highway there is pretty well traveled and VT folks are generally good about stopping, though I've had my bad days heh. On my '22 SOBO I needed to get to the PO for my resupply and had barely stuck my thumb out when I hiker came running up asking if I needed a ride. His son was in the parking lot waiting for him and they not only took me to the PO, but brought me right back. Sometimes you get lucky

Another option would be to see if you can find a shuttle driver to deliver your resupply. I did that last year headed NOBO to avoid Waterbury. Paid a guy $20 to bring me my box right on trail at a parking lot on Rt 2.

Watch your toes on that section. Some of my least favorite trail anywhere between Congdon and the Mass border. Lots of small rocks sticking out of the trail. Just enough to keep stubbing your toes Don't let that stop you though. Some beautiful country without much in the way of hard climbs.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

On my ‘21 SOBO, I caught a hotel shuttle guy dropping someone off and gave him $10 for the ride in. Got a pretty quick hitch back out.

Bromley offers great sunset and sunrise views, and a privy. No water though. Very much worth the haul.

Up for Breakfast in Manchester Center is well worth a stop. Great chow and atmosphere.

If you stay mostly freeze dried, you might find 10 days worth weight isn't too bad. You may need to repackage some to trim down the bulk. Trips I take, if it's 10 days or less I just stay on the trial. Once you get a town meal and a beer though it's like the best thing in the world .

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Nine days is doable. Hitching is easy in Vermont except for the northernmost part.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Images

That's one of the easiest hitches into town on the VT section. Just stand near the parking lot and you will get a ride. If you walk down the road, you wont, because of guardrails. Or call Green Mountain House hostel in Manchester for a shuttle.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I stayed up the hill at Pinnacle Lodge and the owner drove us to the price chopper

Thank you all. With more thinking and consultation with my wiser half , I will be splitting it it to two hikes in July and Aug. so the resupply problem is gone. Now to just deal with the old and slow problem.

Thanks
    RDL

Better old and slow than dead and motionless.

Dead and motionless does not have resupply problems. Just the views never change.

RDL

Quote Originally Posted by rdljr View Post
    Dead and motionless does not have resupply problems. Just the views never change.

RDL
    That depends on the resting place - either one with widely varying seasons (so the view changes) or one that is mobile

++ New Posts ++