WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cuba - stay over, or pass through?

I'll be starting north in Grants in late May, and plan on 6 days to Cuba via Mt Taylor. I'll obviously need food, but is Cuba worth stopping in? I saw that there had been an RV park that you could camp at, but no more. I've also read the roadwalk in and out is crappy.

My current plan is to camp just shy of the roadwalk into Cuba on the evening of Day 6, then get in, resupply, and get out. Anything cool there or is this plan sound?

Cuba has a few nice restaurants with good homecooked Northern NM fare. Brunos comes to mind but there are a handful of other family joints that routinely change hands (and names). There's a small grocery store and a motel or two as well. But there's really not much else going on there if you're looking for tourist experiences or things like that, particularly on foot. It is sort of a strategic fuel and food stop between the four corners area and central NM.

I've not done the road walk but have run a race they do on the CDT on the portion south of town so I've driven it. It isn't exciting but you might be able to catch a hitch.

The National Forest and surrounding area is quite beautiful but the town itself is pretty typical for rural northern New Mexico (a bit run down and kinda down and out).

Quote Originally Posted by TrailsEnd View Post
    Cuba has a few nice restaurants with good homecooked Northern NM fare. Brunos comes to mind but there are a handful of other family joints that routinely change hands (and names). There's a small grocery store and a motel or two as well. But there's really not much else going on there if you're looking for tourist experiences or things like that, particularly on foot. It is sort of a strategic fuel and food stop between the four corners area and central NM.

I've not done the road walk but have run a race they do on the CDT on the portion south of town so I've driven it. It isn't exciting but you might be able to catch a hitch.

The National Forest and surrounding area is quite beautiful but the town itself is pretty typical for rural northern New Mexico (a bit run down and kinda down and out).
    Perfect summary, thanks!

++ New Posts ++