WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How waterproof are Hyperlite packs

I would like to know if those Hyperlite packs are truly waterproof. If you have used one, or are familiar with them, did you need a pack cover? Do you need to line it with a trash bag to keep everything dry during a day long hike in the rain? Or do all your clothes need to be in plastic or a waterproof stuff sack?

I have a dynemma pack with seam taping from Superior Wilderness. Similar enough.

It’s been through an AT Thru,and a few hundred miles past that. I don’t use a pack cover, but do use a trash compactor bag.

I think even though these sort of bags are initially waterproof, eventually wear and tear allows for seam leakages and pinholes. Amazingly to me one trash compactor bag did the trick for me from Gorham to Springer (didn’t start with one, found in hiker box)

The dynemma itself won’t absorb any water, so I wouldn’t use a pack cover. I think a bag liner which also covers the side next to your back, is more complete protection. And lighter.

No pack is truly waterproof but the taped dyneema ones are close. The problem I have found is that my zpacks dyneema pack if water did start getting into it, it would collect in the bottom like a bucket. Anything that HAS to stay dry goes in a compactor bag.

If you’re willing to sleep in a wet sleeping bag, wear wet clothes, forgo the oven bag or compactor bag. Water finds a way regardless of marketing hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfclan View Post
    I would like to know if those Hyperlite packs are truly waterproof. If you have used one, or are familiar with them, did you need a pack cover? Do you need to line it with a trash bag to keep everything dry during a day long hike in the rain? Or do all your clothes need to be in plastic or a waterproof stuff sack?
    No, they are not. I asked the staff at Mountain Crossings, of which one quickly replied, "they are great at holding water." I have a fully-taped, roll top Dyneema food bag from a well known supplier, it holds water better than food. I think you can get it now.

My pack didn’t collect it like a bucket, but yes, you’ll need to towel out what gets in. It was a very small amount.

Mine pack is Superior Wilderness Designs, very happy with it. It is older, so Dynemma, not the Ultra used now.

I notice you are 66, and from this and other posts, guessing you are considering more and maybe longer hiking? If so, you’re on the right track researching high quality lightweight gear. It is a little harder to get really UL as you get older, for instance I sleep colder now than I used to. And a foam pad won’t cut it for a good night’s sleep. But it’s still very possible to do, and even if you spend quite a bit on the gear, if that keeps you on trail longer hiking is so cheap that it is still a very good investment.

Packs are sewn, which means there are holes in them. My SWD is waterproof, except where there are holes in the fabric.

Turkey/nylofume bags are the way.

Some packs are pretty good keeping water out for a while, but few are actually waterproof. Eventually intensity of weather, a slip during a stream crossing, wearing off of the water proofing, or lax discipline to closing up the pack, will contribute to a failure. I agree with Hosh that if you like wet bags and clothing, don't use a secondary system. I use the inexpensive approach with non-scented trash compactor bags that can be rolled up to form a pretty good seal. If the pack cover fails, the secondary system will be nice to have.

There are few things more rewarding to open a pack to find a quarter inch of water in the bottom but the secondary protection has kept sleep system and clothing dry. If you like the pack get one with a cover that fits over for external protection, then get appropriate secondary protection. Hard combination to beat in a week long wet weather streak.

I used a Hyperlite Windrider 40l for half of my AT thru hike in 2019 and on the Camino de Santiago. Bought it to replace an old, heavy, Osprey. While no pack is 100% waterproof I’ve never had water ingress issues even on a week long canoe trip and through some heavy snow storms. But, I always keep clothes and sleeping bag in dry sacks. Nothing stays dry on the trail. Anything you put in your pack, especially a damp tent, will transfer moisture just from contact. Best to use a dry sack for safety.

There’s a well known “professional” YouTuber (the kind who spends more time reviewing gear but not actually hiking) who had to bail on a winter weekend trip because he didn’t line is HMG pack and his sleeping bag got wet. The irony? The previous week he put out a video titled “10 things for newbies to avoid while winter backpacking” or something like that, and in that video he stressed the importance of lining the inside of your pack. He literally didn’t follow his own advice.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've never heard anyone get to camp at the end of a day in the rain and complain about their stuff being all dry again.

I'm all for saving ounces, but keeping my gear dry is a necessity.

++ New Posts ++