WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shenandoah NP -- current lack of water in southern section

I recently finished a section hike of the southern part of Shenandoah NP and water was a consistent issue.
    There's a serious drought there--and quite a few wildfires that have affected the trail and Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. I wrapped up on the 15th, and on the 16th, there was a vehicle fire that sparked a wildfire very close to Rockfish Gap. The roads& part of the AT were closed for a while. I was so fortunate to finish a day before all that mess--my car was parked at that former hotel/popcorn stand, which was pretty much right next to the fire!!

The park has this great resource on their website...but conditions can change faster than this site is updated (and there seem to be far fewer updates in the fall):
    https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...king-water.htm

I started just south of Swift Run Gap (entrance to the park along Rt. 33) and hiked to the southern end of the park (Rockfish Gap).
    I was out three nites and two of the lean-to's I stayed at did not have water. That was challenging!

Hightop Hut -- very low flow, with some pooled water. Stopped by while hiking.

Here are the three huts I stayed at:
    Pinefield Hut -- no water available
    Blackrock Hut -- no water available
    Calf Mountain Hut -- low flow but water available.

There is reliable water just before and after Pinefield Hut.
    South of Pinefield Hut, Ivy Creek is a gorgeous spot and there is a well-flowing stream.
    North of Pinefield Hut, the Simmons Gap Ranger Station is well-signed and just off a trail/Skyline Drive xing. That was so helpful as there's a reliable water pump outside the buildings.

The area around Calf Mountain is the driest. I got some help from a road crew doing work along Skyline Drive (gave me water and Mountain Dew!). I also got help from some folks at a scenic overlook. It was just enough to get me through in a comfortable way.
    I could see folks easily getting into trouble and having to cut their hike short.

I knew water would be an issue. I'm glad I didn't know how bad it was, because I may have changed or reduced my plans.
    It was such a fantastic hike/recharge--so glad I got it all in!!!

Thanks for the update.

++ New Posts ++