WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Barn

Journal Entries
    Images

Default The Barn

If you haven't already heard, The Barn aka Overmountain Shelter is gone: https://youtu.be/qfV4FX9ZE7A?si=9Wd9LsaNspeElUHD.

Tenting is still available at the site. The privy is still there. It is a pit privy, though, and there might not be any more places to dig a new pit, once full. A moldering privy has been considered.

A potential site for a new shelter has been identified but that is as far as the planning has gone. It is a favorable site and perhaps even better than this one.

A sad day for many hikers but you still have your memories! Please share here if you wish.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    20231114_102211.jpg20231114_102323.jpg20231114_102346.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    A potential site for a new shelter has been identified but that is as far as the planning has gone. It is a favorable site and perhaps even better than this one.
    I'm going to take a wild guess that the possible new shelter site is Doll Flats north of Hump Mtn, near the "Leaving NC" sign for NOBOs. It's been a popular tenting area for years and there's a spring there I believe.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you haven't already heard, The Barn aka Overmountain Shelter is gone: https://youtu.be/qfV4FX9ZE7A?si=9Wd9LsaNspeElUHD.
    Glad to hear that there is still some interest in getting another shelter in the area.

If something can be rebuilt on the grounds, it would be interesting to have a pole shed type shelter with a loft or fireplace.

Any talks of switching the privy to a vault toilet somewhere around the grounds? With how popular the area gets on the weekends, a vault might keep the grounds from turning into a poop garden.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I'm going to take a wild guess that the possible new shelter site is Doll Flats north of Hump Mtn, near the "Leaving NC" sign for NOBOs. It's been a popular tenting area for years and there's a spring there I believe.
    Not sure if Dolls Flats will be an ideal spot. There are nearby access points from Elk Park, and locals have been known to ride ATVs through or nearby the site.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 11-22-2023 at 11:05.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Here is a recent longer thread on removal of the Overmountain Shelter (the barn).

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...highlight=Barn

If doll flats is the option I would be pretty disappointed, thats one of my favorite tenting spots on the whole trail.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If doll flats is the option I would be pretty disappointed, thats one of my favorite tenting spots on the whole trail.
    Agreed. I sure hope they don’t ruin Doll Flats with an unnecessary shelter.

In the last picture you can see that the rafters were substantially pushing out the middle of that wall, I'm sure the ridge had a huge sag in it and same thing on the other side. Was time to go but surely sad to see.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

East of Bradley Gap where the trail emerges from the woods before climbing Big Hump[NOBO]? Nice flat area there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Nope. On the other side, near Bradley Gap.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    If something can be rebuilt on the grounds, it would be interesting to have a pole shed type shelter with a loft or fireplace.

Any talks of switching the privy to a vault toilet somewhere around the grounds? With how popular the area gets on the weekends, a vault might keep the grounds from turning into a poop garden.
    Probably not at the original site. That might be inviting the party crowd back.

I don't know about a vault toilet but I think we have at least a few years to figure out something. Presumably without the shelter, hikers might be spreading out more on the trail.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    East of Bradley Gap where the trail emerges from the woods before climbing Big Hump[NOBO]? Nice flat area there.
    This has potential: https://youtu.be/5zeDz9l86SI?si=_LcA1-wxhedLYHyb

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

From a US Forest Service release on 11/9/23:

“The pit privy near the shelter will remain but may be improved for future use. A bench may be installed in the shelter footprint. The fields around the shelter will remain open for tent camping offering beautiful views of the Roaring Creek valley.”

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    I really like that first spot squid.

how far of a distance was spot 1 from spot 2?

spot 2 has outstanding views but weather could cause issues out exposed like that
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    The first spot is the one I was referring to, it is right past the spring[NOBO] on the east side of the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

The 1st site in the Bradley Gap video is not quite as favorable as the 2nd site, especially per the guidelines as set forth by ATC. Site #1 is already an established campsite and would likely remain as such and probably be the camping area for the potential shelter (it isn't too far away). Site #2 is not directly on the trail and would be less visible from it. Sidehill is also more favorable than flat ground. Both sites are close to a spring.

This is all very preliminary at this point in time.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Has the ATC, or USFS, given any indication that a new shelter might be built?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    it's one of the options on the table as a future possibility.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

When I “participated” in the online public hearing by the USFS, the head ranger and ATC rep seemed just fine with Stan Murray, and implied that shelters aren’t really needed any more. I’m not holding my breath. It’s funny how a lot of folks hate on shelters but they’re always packed when it’s raining.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    ... It’s funny how a lot of folks hate on shelters but they’re always packed when it’s raining.
    its mostly the folks who see the work and costs involved who see it that way.

and those, most of them having a full time job, are out on the weekends and pick the ones with sunshine...

i was at the barn back in december 1998 and i am still wondering it lastet that long. in germany that place would have been torn down for safety reasons back then. having some structure there for protection would be nice, so i am all for rebuilding in some way. does not have to be as big though. definitely a toilet is a must in my eyes, there must be a lot of tenters too.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I'll just say that some of the people who need to know, know and have visited the potential site. Right now in our area, there is a more pressing issue. The condition of Round Bald is a high priority. Personally, I'll do my best to keep pressing the issue of a new shelter. The volume of backpackers seems to indicate a need. However, The Barn has been closed since 2019, so backpackers have managed somehow.

Stan Murray isn't really sufficient but when it rains, I'm sure it will fill up.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++