WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Garmin Messenger vs InReach Mini (the first gen)

So ... I have an InReach Mini right now... I haven't had to use it, but I keep hearing challenges with battery life and reception (especially on the AT). I'm debating whether to pony up $250 at REI to get the Messenger or upgrade to the InReach Mini2. I welcome anyone who has either of the Messenger or InReach devices to provide any feedback!

Thanks in advance!

Cajun

Wait a year and you in theory will be able to use a cell phone to text via satellite.

Cajun,
    Have you learned anything more? I was hoping for more responses to this thread. I too have a inReach mini 1 and considering the messenger device. It looks to be exactly what I need. However, concerned about the lack of ways to attach it to my pack.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

There is a pretty good article here, going over the 2 vs older. https://sectionhiker.com/garmin-inre...explorer-plus/

Here's an article comparing the Messenger to the Mini2: https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...ach-messenger/

It looks like the battery life is better in the Messenger, but I wonder if the external antennae on the Mini would provide better signal in the backcountry.

I used an inreach mini fora week in California a few years ago and had no issues with battery life.

I use an InReach mini for sending check-ins back home and in case of emergency. Never had an issue getting a message sent out and I am frequently sending from heavy tree cover. Battery has always lasted as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    I use an InReach mini for sending check-ins back home and in case of emergency. Never had an issue getting a message sent out and I am frequently sending from heavy tree cover. Battery has always lasted as expected.
    Should have specified I use an InReach Mini first gen. I would buy again (the newer version) if I needed to but I am hoping before that day comes my phone will have GPS capability.

Quote Originally Posted by alborg2 View Post
    Here's an article comparing the Messenger to the Mini2: https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...ach-messenger/

It looks like the battery life is better in the Messenger, but I wonder if the external antennae on the Mini would provide better signal in the backcountry.
    So do I understand correctly then that the Mini2 can utilize the Messenger phone app?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    So do I understand correctly then that the Mini2 can utilize the Messenger phone app?
    Yes, both the InReach Mini 2, and the Messenger device can use the Messenger app.

Default Garmin Messenger vs InReach Mini (the first gen)

I have the 2. I've already used the SOS for a hiker that had fallen and blown out his knee Works really well in regular use and even better seeing it actually rescue someone.

One can use the SOS for another? I thought SOS was intended only for the subscriber. Does you pushing the SOS make you liable for rescue costs? My thought was if I came across someone needing rescue I should text 911.

One of the reasons I recently purchased the Mini2 was the text capability (would have been a big help on a recent trip) and the rescue insurance. I've seen the Dixie videos on pushing SOS for oneself. How did it work out using it for another?

For the OP, I went with the mini2 over the messenger largely because it had a compass and what appeared to be easier track-back capability (I still have to figure out how that works).

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    One can use the SOS for another? I thought SOS was intended only for the subscriber. Does you pushing the SOS make you liable for rescue costs? My thought was if I came across someone needing rescue I should text 911.

One of the reasons I recently purchased the Mini2 was the text capability (would have been a big help on a recent trip) and the rescue insurance. I've seen the Dixie videos on pushing SOS for oneself. How did it work out using it for another?

For the OP, I went with the mini2 over the messenger largely because it had a compass and what appeared to be easier track-back capability (I still have to figure out how that works).
    From the following Garmin site:

“….As an inReach owner, you may activate/trigger the SOS feature for others around you. You personally will only be financially responsible for fees incurred when triggering an SOS for yourself, or someone for whom you are financially responsible.
    Activating the SOS feature on your inReach notifies Garmin Response of an emergent situation. Any fees incurred due to aid or rescue are charged to the individual for whom the SOS was triggered for….”

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...iggered%20for.

Good to know. Thank you.

For the OP, Amazon now has the Mini2 for 25% off. Instead of $399 it is $299.

++ New Posts ++