WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Paper Mill Blanket

I know that Earl Shaffer carried what called, "Paper Mill Blanket". Is there anything like that today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    I know that Earl Shaffer carried what called, "Paper Mill Blanket". Is there anything like that today?
    There was thread some years back that explained exactly what it was. Try searching. Seems like you had to get it from a mill. I think it might be similar to old military or scout wool blankets.

Papermachines use a very long continuous belt (a "felt to form the paper from pulp. Long ago the "felt" was made out of tightly woven wool that looked like felt. They had to be changed frequently, the old ones would frequently be salvaged to make blankets out of them. The old military blankets are similar but the papermachine blankets were usually free or sold not for much money. They have been made with synthetic fibers for decades and would not be suitable for keeping warm. The new fabrics last longer and frequently various strong chemicals are used to try to clean them to stretch out their life, I think most places send them right to the landfill these days although I have seen some used for road stabilization.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    ... I have seen some used for road stabilization.
    Friends here used some for making a huge Tipi.

++ New Posts ++