WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default water availability now in southern Shenandoah AT section?

I'm considering about 50 miles from rockfish gap to swift run gap soon. It's been very dry here, and far out comments (mostly >2wks ago) are discouraging for springs. There are a couple of spigots along the way. Has anyone been on this section recently and checked out the water situation?

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    . . . Has anyone been on this section recently and checked out the water situation?
    Sorry it’s been a while since I’ve been there but I recall getting most of my water at Waysides and Campgrounds etc., not sure when they close for the season though. The AT thru Shenandoah is really great though, good luck with your trip! Hopefully someone else can chime in with a more recent water report.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

The first part is always a water carry, the problem is that some of the taps are winterized beginning this month. I guess I’ll just plan on a heavier water carry the whole way unless I hear that springs are running.

Images

Last year when I did a dry section in southwest Virginia my shuttle gave me water bottles to cache along that 21 mile stretch, all near road crossings.
    Of course he didn't have to do this, but logically thinking, that is an easy way to do away with having to carry so much water.

In SNP it would be easy to conceal water bottles since the AT in the park makes a crossing of the Skyline Drive every day, several times a day.
    Find a shuttle to advance you along the SD on the way to your drop points, and save your tired muscles for hiking big miles.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I'm considering about 50 miles from rockfish gap to swift run gap soon. It's been very dry here, and far out comments (mostly >2wks ago) are discouraging for springs. There are a couple of spigots along the way. Has anyone been on this section recently and checked out the water situation?
    Don't know about that section specifically, but I got this in an email from the ATC yesterday:

"A.T. visitors in Georgia through Virginia should plan for dry and low-flowing water sources. Hikers should not rely on water sources labeled as “seasonal” in guidebooks, should fill up when they come across a well-flowing source, and be able to carry at least two quarts of water."

That section is normally pretty dry, so I wouldn't plan on finding water anywhere other than the shelters and campgrounds.
    It's all good in the woods.

Last significant rain at Shenandoah Valley Airport on west side was Sept 23 = 1 inch. Drought Level 2 = severe, experimental short (90 day) and long (5 year) indicators are worse.

Water Report per SNP. You may have this but others may be unaware.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...king-water.htm

One consistent water source is a piped spring about 2 1/2 miles north of the Loft Mountain Camp Store at Ivy Creek Maintenance Hut, left (west) of the trail as you're heading north.

++ New Posts ++