WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default sunscreen - do I still need it?

I致e been carrying my little tube of sunscreen for a long time now. I was happy I had it when I spent all day above treeline in the Whites (presidential section) and for Katahdin (not that I had to use it since a rainstorm hit right after I reached the sign) and for the Roan highlands. I知 now in Erwin, TN and heading south. Since I知 picking up my heavier winter gear for the Smokies I知 thinking about taking out a few items to save weight. Any sections south of Erwin, TN that are exposed for a long time? Thanks in advance!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

What’s the weight penalty we’re talking about?! Seems like you could leave it out, because you’ve been out all year your skin is probably already used to it, but your dermatologist might disagree and say keep it. I’d probably chuck it, but that’s just me. Happy trails!!

I started my thru hike with sun screen, never used it and sent it home the first chance I had. Never missed it or packed it with me again.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I mean I guess I didn't need to send it home but I was sending a box anyway first chance I had to get rid of it. Was just thinking about that...
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Earl Shaffer never used no sunscreen

As with many things, it really depends on the individual. I know people who have never used sunscreen who are in their 80s without any skin cancer issues, I also know people who's skin was damaged when they were very young and/or later in life with repeated sunburns who have developed various skin cancers. Myself, I had the first diagnosis of skin cancer at 40 years old and have had 5-surgeries to remove Melanoma (in situ), 3-surgeries to remove carcinomas, over 50-basil cell cancer treatments including chemo-therapy over the past 30-years. So for me, and many others, the sun really is not my friend unless I wear clothing designed with SPF protection or apply sunscreen.

UV rays can penetrate forest canopies, which is cumulative and can develop cancers down the road. Though it feels shady due to little direct sunlight reaching the body, UV rays bounce and reflect off of various things like leaves, fields, pavement, snow, water, etc. Canopies do provide some protection, lowering UV exposure in heavy canopies to about 10% of the total UV load on a given day, but a dispersed or disturbed canopy reduces exposure to about 20% of the total UV load potential on a given day.

Most of us over the age of 40 should get a skin cancer screening and consult to determine what, if any precautions should be taken. The weight penalty for carrying high SPF protection sunscreen is pretty minimal when one considers the possible alternatives.

No, but I rarely if ever used suntan lotion. It seems to me, your primary concern is sunburn. As we near winter the UV index drops. The maximum UV index for Clingman's Dome in a variety of weather over the next ten days is only 4 out of 11+. The index is based on people with "fair skin, burns easily, tans minimally". Besides, you likely have long pants (or wind pants), long sleeved shirt (or rain jacket), hat, and gloves available.

There are some in and out open sections on the ridge leading down the south side of Clingman's Dome, some balds <1 mile and maybe .25 mile across Fontana dam. The leaves are starting to drop in MA. However if you choose to sunbathe at Beauty Spot, or Max Patch.,,

UV rays can penetrate forest canopies

As leaves drop in the fall the forest canopies will not be as thick.

I've gotten sun exposure on 100 percent cloudy (thin) days. We have several family members that have skin issues due to sun damage.

As said, everyone is different. If it is a small travel size amount, I'd keep it. Or put it in a hiker box and if you decide you need it in a week, stop by the supermarket for a travel sized tube.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

From Erwin south? nah
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Additionally this time of year the sun is not as high in the sky and the rays not as direct. South of Erwin, just Big Bald and Siler Bald. Quick traverses each. Ship it home.

Thank you all!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Never used on AT.
    Now Colorado Trail, totally different story.

++ New Posts ++