WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stony Creek Vermont

Does anyone know how wide the Stony Creek crossing is?
    From Far Out there's a note that references 2 channels with the first having a bridge, but the second requires a fording.
    Planning to cross there on this coming Sunday morning.
    Thanks!

I don't know but..

If you are referring to Stony Brook that is about 0.6 miles north of Stony Brook Shelter, then I think the bridge is on Stony Brook Road and the 2nd channel is not a channel but Mink Brook. I hiked Killington (route 4, Long Trail Inn) to Hanover after heavy rains including this spot. You couldn't cross a ditch at road crossings without getting your feet wet so you might get wet if conditions are bad. However, I don't remember any unsafe, deep, swift or particularly wide crossings.

Looking at old maps, the shelter (in the distant past) was on the Maine side of Mink Brook with the trail heading up Mink Brook instead of up switchbacks to the ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    I don't know but..

If you are referring to Stony Brook that is about 0.6 miles north of Stony Brook Shelter, then I think the bridge is on Stony Brook Road and the 2nd channel is not a channel but Mink Brook. I hiked Killington (route 4, Long Trail Inn) to Hanover after heavy rains including this spot. You couldn't cross a ditch at road crossings without getting your feet wet so you might get wet if conditions are bad. However, I don't remember any unsafe, deep, swift or particularly wide crossings.

Looking at old maps, the shelter (in the distant past) was on the Maine side of Mink Brook with the trail heading up Mink Brook instead of up switchbacks to the ridge.

The amount of rain forecasted has doubled to over 2 inches, so concern about creek crossings just rose to a greater risk level, so I'm gonna play it safe and cancel the hike. Thanks for getting back! Good information to have!

That’s where SteadyEddie passed away, swept away in rising floodwater. Spooky. But smart to 86 your adventure for now.

Safe is the best way. Doesn't sound like a good hiking weekend in any case.

Images

Hiked this section in September. Going NOBO, you cross Stony Brook Rd (gravel), then Stony Brook on a footbridge, then Mink Brook (rock hop), all within 100 yards.

We crossed Mink Brook after a full day and night of rain with no issues - didn't even get our feet wet. The hiker who died there last summer was attempting to cross right after a historic rainstorm dumped 8" of rain in a single day. Any creek crossing will become dangerous after that much rain.

++ New Posts ++