WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 21 Days in a Copperhead Furnace

This backpacking trip occurs from August 30 to September 19, 2023 in the Bald River backcountry of TN.

TRAILS HIKED
    **Beach Drive In on Tellico River up Old Furnace road on a 3 mile tough roadwalk(uphill).
    **Warrior's Passage trail to Mule Pen Gap.
    **Old Logging cut 126A to Basin Gap.
    **Basin Gap-Bald River roadwalk down to Kirkland Creek trailhead.
    **Kirkland Creek trail up to Sandy Gap.
    **Sandy Gap on State Line Ridge to Sled Runner Gap.
    **Down Brookshire Creek trail to Bald River roadwalk.
    **North up Bald River trail into Bald River wilderness and backtrack out to road.
    **Up Kirkland Creek trail for a second time to Sandy Gap.
    **Sandy Gap to Six Mile Gap and up and over Waucheesi Mt.
    **Down Warrior's Passage to Old Furnace roadwalk and OUT.

Little Mitten drops me off at Tellico Beach Drive In and I pull the tough uphill roadwalk on Old Furnace road for 3 miles to Warrior's Passage trailhead. It kicks my butt since the pack is around 115 lbs.

I reach Warrior's Passage and one mile in I set up camp.

My Hilleberg tent set up on Warrior's Passage trail.

I cross Wildcat Creek---always a challenge with a heavy pack---and pass thru Wildcat Cove, the wildest part of WP trail.

I reach Tobe Creek and set up camp.

Past Tobe Creek the trail climbs to Mule Pen Gap where there is a little used gated logging cut called 126A on the old maps so I hike it up to Basin Gap and stop at its top end by the bargate.

Once in Basin Gap I roadwalk Bald River road down to Bald River and Kirkland Creek trailhead and pass this poor snake.

After a long day of humpage I reach the bottom trailhead to Kirkland Creek in Upper Bald River wilderness.

Kirkland trail is usually a hellish exercise in futility but I run into a trail crew clearing it and it takes them 10 days to do the job. They are SAWS---Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards.

A SAWS cutting saw---his "sword".

Near the top of Kirkland trail I run into SAWS checking out the rest of the trail and with them is Tellico Ranger district Ranger Robert.

Kirkland punches me out in Sandy Gap on the BMT so I head up State Line Ridge and stop at this pretty rock gateway near Moss Gap after a tough uphill slog.

I reach Moss Gap on the BMT and set up camp by a spring water source.

Preparing to leave Moss Gap after burning a trash and book fire.

I'm on State Line Ridge-BMT and stop on the other side of Nit Top Mt to check out its spring.

After about 11 tough hill climbs I reach Rocky Top TN on State Line Ridge and set up camp nearby in Sled Runner Gap.

I leave Sled Runner Gap and descend Brookshire Creek trail to this spot where Brookshire leaves the BMT.

I finish Brookshire trail and roadwalk past Holly Flats campground and enter Bald River wilderness here at its back door.

On Bald River trail stopping to rest at Cascades waterfall.

As I head north thru BR wilderness I stop at one of my favorite CSs---Big Pine Camp.

Bald River trail crosses Papaw Cove Creek where I stop to get water.

After spending several great nights on Bald River in the wilderness I backtrack south to exit and run into a new friend on the trail. We exchange greetings.

I leave BR wilderness and return to Kirkland Creek's bottom trailhead and slap on the crocs so I can cross Bald River.

On Day 15 near the top of Kirkland trail I run into my first backpackers of the trip---four guys from Ohio out for one night on Kirkland.

Ohio boys head off Kirkland trail to their car in Sandy Gap.

As I finish Kirkland up to Sandy Gap I run into SAWS again who return to finish their work.

Once in Sandy Gap I head north out of the gap and get on the BMT to Six Mile Gap and take the manway trail up to Waucheesi Mt for a view.

A mile on the other side of Waucheesi Mt is the top trailhead to Warrior's Passage and my exit route out to my pickup spot.

The top part of Warrior's Passage is very steep so I slap on the microspikes for safe traction.

I use a couple short roadwalks to connect parts of Warrior's Passage.

It's time to cross Wildcat Creek on Warrior's Passage.

Easy crossing cuz the pack is much lighter now near Day 20.

I finish Warrior's trail and prepare for a 3 mile Old Furnace roadwalk on Day 21.

My trip ends on Tellico River where I wait for Little Mitten and my ride home.

Thank you for sharing the details and pictures. It's fun to go along with you.

Charlotte

Great report as always. An inspiration to us all.

Default 21 Days in a Copperhead Furnace

Really love this area...especially Kirkland Creek and the Upper Bald wilderness. Thanks for the report!

Looks like your food carry was heavy! Love the photos, too good!

Damn, 10 days for SAWS to clear Kirkland Creek. Much appreciated and it was much needed.

Tipi that rattler looking up at you... wonder what was on his mind...

Looked like it might be a copper head

++ New Posts ++