WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default (un)Packing Fears ~ Rescue Insurance $O$

Reading about Dixie’s $60k helicopter flight got me thinking about rescue insurance for AT 2024. I will be carrying an inReach Mini to communicate with my wife and give her (and myself) some comfort of having the SOS button available in an emergency. I have average health insurance but certainly not a gold standard package. Seems like the $40 for Garmin’s SAR insurance might be a worthwhile expenditure. I understand most SAR is typically a government expense but for the small premium this may help with any surprise bills.

Are there other similarly priced plans or better plans?

Garmin SAR 100 Search and Rescue Insurance
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/906397#overview

Interesting, I'm sorry but I didn't read about Dixie's cost. Did it really cost her 60k? I thought emergency evacuations were free in the USA?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

NH charges their costs for rescue (does not include volunteer S&R groups under their control). Usually the NH national guard supplies a helicopter on the training budget but on occasion they need to hire one at big bucks. NH offers a yearly Hike Safe card that waives the charges except for negligence.

The YouTube post of Dixie's (Homemade Wanderlust) experience and what to expect when you press the SOS button was enlightening.

Here is an excerpt from her Go Fund Me page that details the cost associated with her rescue.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dixies-wi...ource=customer

I finally received my bills from the hospital and Life Flight within the last few days. Because my medical insurance was set to kick in 4 days after my rescue, I am not eligible for any benefits from that policy. I did, thankfully, have some coverage from Garmin SAR plan for the helicopter flight fees.

Medical Expenses: $1814.80
    Life Flight: $59,973

I have begun a claim with Garmin, and they should cover $50k of the expenses for the flight, leaving me responsible for $11,787.80 in medical and rescue expenses–due immediately.

Thank you for the information. Seems like the Garmin insurance is a pretty good deal.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfvr View Post
    Thank you for the information. Seems like the Garmin insurance is a pretty good deal.
    Still a good deal but may not apply here. According to one of her contributors:

The Exclusions on the Garmin Evacuation Insurance reports that only accidents are covered and "disease" is not, "SECTION 7: EXCLUSIONS The Policy does not cover any loss caused or contributed by: 1. Sickness, disease or infections..." You may need a lot more help. Please let us know if Garmin will pay the claim. (I hope I am wrong)

Was she denied coverage by Garmin for the helicopter evacuation?

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Was she denied coverage by Garmin for the helicopter evacuation?
    I believe she had $50k of Garmin coverage for a $60k helicopter flight so would be out of pocket for amounts over limit. She had a grandfathered plan that was $50k of rescue insurance for a lower premium and current plans are all now $100k. She also did not have health insurance at the time.

I have not looked for or seen updates on Dixie's insurance coverage since my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    I believe she had $50k of Garmin coverage for a $60k helicopter flight so would be out of pocket for amounts over limit. She had a grandfathered plan that was $50k of rescue insurance for a lower premium and current plans are all now $100k. She also did not have health insurance at the time.

I have not looked for or seen updates on Dixie's insurance coverage since my original post.
    On her gofundme site for medical, someone pointed out that the Garmin policy was for injuries, and excluded medical emergencies. She applied for the $50,000 Garmin coverage, but I was wondering if Garmin covered her medical evacuation.

++ New Posts ++