WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Fontana Dam

Default Fontana Dam

I was hiking from Fontana Dam south a little ways about 6 months ago. At that time the road going over the dam was closed to cars due to what looked like construction/maintenance. One could still walk across.
    Has the road across the dam re-opened to cars?

I read a while back that vandalism was a problem at the trailheads near Fontana Dam. Is this still the case?

Thank you.
    Last edited by perrymk; 09-24-2023 at 17:04.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't think I've ever heard of the dam being closed to hikers (it is the official path for the AT). But it's frequently been closed to vehicle traffic. When that is the case, the National Park service usually posts about it on their temporary closures pages: https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...proadclose.htm
    The dam used to be considered a very safe place. So far, the only thing I've heard regarding any issues at the dam was at least one report of catalectic converter theft.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard of the dam being closed to hikers (it is the official path for the AT).
    It was closed in 2008 to hikers, not sure for how long. If you went ahead and hiked across anyway, they would arrest you and you got a nice clean comfortable one night stay in....jail.

Images

I left my vehicle in the upper parking lot at the dam for 3 days in May 2021 and had no issues, but I don't leave anything valuable in my vehicle and definitely not in plain sight. I could see there being an issue at the parking area at the far end of the road after you cross the dam since it's technically not on TVA property and probably not patrolled by their police force, that's NPS land. I did leave a vehicle there for 3 days back in April 2011 and no issues but that was 12 years ago and catalytic convertor theft has definitely increased over the years.

I did my hike, had a great time. I can add a couple things about parking.

I both emailed TVA and visited the Visitor's Center at Fontana Dam. One is permitted to park overnight in any of the TVA parking lots, including Fontana Dam. The Visitor's Center asked that I not park in the closest spots but rather leave them for tourists. Most were handicap spots anyway. While there are multiple lots, I will describe only one.

In front of the Visitors Center is a flagpole with a small loop road around it and parking along the outer edge of the loop road (sort of a round-about). Park on the side of the loop opposite of the Visitors Center. It appears to be covered by video camera, and the shuttle driver who picked me up also said it was. Apparently it was installed to protect TVA vehicles after a few catalytic converters were stolen from TVA vehicles (according to my shuttle driver). There were a number of hiker vehicles parked along the opposite side as I was. I had no problems. Other lots do not have video surveillance.

I saw some of the hikers parked next to me (met the on the trail and we happened to be parked next to each other) got supplies to use the complimentary showers provided by TVA. I got the impression the shampoo, soap, whatever, might have been free, but I didn't ask. At least it was available during business hours. I was headed to a motel in Franklin (about an hour) so wasn't too concerned.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't recall there being any shampoo or soap at the Fontana showers... at least not when I used them several years ago. I wonder if someone left a few supplies behind.

From the conversation, someone gave it to him. Gift shop, volunteers, someone else, I don't know. I also heard someone say to leave it behind as they closed at 6pm so others would be able to use the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    It was closed in 2008 to hikers, not sure for how long. If you went ahead and hiked across anyway, they would arrest you and you got a nice clean comfortable one night stay in....jail.
    There isa blue blazed detour route available from the visitor center that goes downhill to a river road and then over the hwy 28 bridge adding an 1.5 - 2 miles of hiking. The north side trail may no longer exist but would be a short bushwhack back up in any case. During the dam closure this would have been the official route.

-

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtn Hiker View Post
    I left my vehicle in the upper parking lot at the dam for 3 days in May 2021 and had no issues, but I don't leave anything valuable in my vehicle and definitely not in plain sight. I could see there being an issue at the parking area at the far end of the road after you cross the dam since it's technically not on TVA property and probably not patrolled by their police force, that's NPS land. I did leave a vehicle there for 3 days back in April 2011 and no issues but that was 12 years ago and catalytic convertor theft has definitely increased over the years.
    visitor center lot is probably the safest free parking on the at, TVA definitely has all kinds of surveillance approaching the damn

-

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I don't recall there being any shampoo or soap at the Fontana showers... at least not when I used them several years ago. I wonder if someone left a few supplies behind.
    when it is cold and no one else is around the heat is set much higher on the women's side - I even set it higher once behind the heater cover on the mens, next time I was in the area the women's was still hot and the mens was turned back down

I parked at the lot on the far side of the dam for a week August of 22 and had no issues. Used the men's shower in November of 22 and it was blazing hot then. Very welcome after a miserable 4 days of rain and snow coming south from Newfound Gap.

Images

Would they take you back to the other side of the dam?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++