WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Technology and underwear

With technology ever changing, what is the best wicking underwear these days? I'm an Exofficio's dude, but always good to check to see if there's some New and Improved swear by thang out there to try...
    Thanks!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

You're probably 17 underwear generations ahead of me, but I've been wearing Fruit of the Loom synthetics for the past ten years and haven't had a hint of chaffing or other issues. IE, 100% success rate.

So I'm satisfied, especially considering my base line. On my first big section (Georgia, August 2007, excessive heat and humidity), I set a world record for flaming thighs. The last ten miles into Walasi-Yi, I tried to keep my thights at least two feet apart, which isn't possible but was desirable.

P.S. I met you at Sassafras Shelter in October 2010. I was with my boys. You were southbound and exchanged car keys with a northbound lady, each of you trusting the other to make it work. I liked that. (I tell you this each time I write in reply to you on Whiteblaze because it was a memorable occasion.)

I moved from UA to wool a few years back and find it worth the expense. Comfortable, good moisture management with the benefit of wool's ability to be soaked in sweat day after day and come out smelling like a rose. Well, maybe not a rose, but a heck of a lot better than synthetics. Airing out over night freshens them up nicely and even worn for a week in the rain where they never dried they didn't mold.

The Smartwool Boxer Brief is my go to and often can be found discounted on Steep & Cheap or other such sites, as full retail is pricey.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    You're probably 17 underwear generations ahead of me, but I've been wearing Fruit of the Loom synthetics for the past ten years and haven't had a hint of chaffing or other issues. IE, 100% success rate.

So I'm satisfied, especially considering my base line. On my first big section (Georgia, August 2007, excessive heat and humidity), I set a world record for flaming thighs. The last ten miles into Walasi-Yi, I tried to keep my thights at least two feet apart, which isn't possible but was desirable.

P.S. I met you at Sassafras Shelter in October 2010. I was with my boys. You were southbound and exchanged car keys with a northbound lady, each of you trusting the other to make it work. I liked that. (I tell you this each time I write in reply to you on Whiteblaze because it was a memorable occasion.)
    Thanks Dan & Great to hear from you!!! What was a memorable day that was!! It was her 1st hike and I had just met her for like 5 minutes and she gave me her keys, it worked perfect, I moved her car to NFG where mine was, Win Win!! The trail Amazing!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Careful!!! There is all sorts of "Hiking" underwear for men. Formfitting, with or with pouch and so on. In my day, we had Boxers, briefs and supporters for hiking. That was it. Lets not get off course with this thing.

I've been doing the Smartwool Boxer Briefs since I got into backpacking in 2017 and started using for work right after. I have not compared to much else but haven't found a reason to either.

Still using the same Smartwool base layers since 2017 as well... the only wear out of a top and bottom 150 and 250 count is in the wrists on the 150. It wore out around the hem at the bottom of the sleeve which is pretty much hanging. I think I could just cut it off and put a new hem, shortening the sleeve slightly. They held up incredibly well but I also keep them protected with a polyester shirt over so there is no rubbing on the wool from my pack or anything.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    In my day, we had Boxers, briefs and supporters for hiking. That was it. Lets not get off course with this thing.
    Some of us are aficionados, though. You left out bikinis, a la Jim Palmer.

I make my own with steel wool, 000 or if I can find it 0000. Doesn’t absorb any moisture or harbor germs. Just roll it out thinly and cut to a pattern. Instead of sewing I use silicon adhesive.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    I make my own with steel wool, 000 or if I can find it 0000. Doesn’t absorb any moisture or harbor germs.
    ...and you can get an exfoliating scrub while you hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

+1

$$$ at full retail but discounts available
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    I make my own with steel wool, 000 or if I can find it 0000. Doesn’t absorb any moisture or harbor germs. Just roll it out thinly and cut to a pattern. Instead of sewing I use silicon adhesive.
    Now if you could find Stainless steel wool,could avoid that pesky rust problem..

Speedos - Anytime, anyplace, perfect to keep people moving past the shelter....

Saxx.... it's all in the name, need I say anymore.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

I knew one hiker, would strip down to the smallest underwear in the world and do his laundry. (Gross.) Is there anyway to do laundry without have folks running and covering their eyes?

A few good options here. I've been wearing Performance Boxer Briefs for a while, but the previous version had "Duluth Trading" instead of "Buck Naked" on the waist band.

Men's Underwear | Duluth Trading Company

I favor runner's compression shorts under hiking pants. Anything to avoid bunching and chaffing.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Duluth Trading Post Armachillo boxer briefs are my favorite. Wool is ok, helps avoid stink, but always feels damp to me.

I knew one hiker, would strip down to the smallest underwear in the world and do his laundry. (Gross.) Is there anyway to do laundry without have folks running and covering their eyes?
    In a public laundromat that's the kind of stuff that attracts police calls and makes us all look more than a little irresponsible and stupid in the eyes of the locals. Most responsible people use some kind of covering (poncho, raincoat and rainpants, long underwear and shorts, etc) in a public laundromat or hostel facilities, I've also seen people wrap a sleeping bag/quilt around themselves as they wait for the laundry wash and dry to complete. Myself, since laundromats tend to be warm places I typically use a pair of light running shorts and a light poly tee for laundry duty.

Rain gear. Not the most comfortable, but beats stinking for another week.

Journal Entries
    Images

the newest in underwear is no stink underwear. the manfactor say the sew in threads of silver which somehow cancels out the stink casused
    by bacteria gone bad. lasts quite a bit of stink and can be worn extended for a lengthier time. anyone else want to wear this to the extended time?
    cutty

++ New Posts ++