WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recent weather between Stratton and Monson

I’m hoping to find someone familiar with the area. I’m planning to hike the AT from Monson to Stratton starting next week. The weather looks unseasonably warm in cities along the way.

I have a 20F quilt and a 50F quilt. Would I be comfortable using the 50? It’s not about weight as much as it’s about comfort for me. I’m thinking the 50F quilt and a sweater would be plenty. The 20F might be too warm.

Am I missing something?
    Thoughts?

Thank you

I’d bring the 20°, if it’s not about weight. But H your own H.

It's been wicked hot with afternoon t-storms. Bring the 20 because having a warm bag/quilt and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

If there's a doubt, there is no doubt. While it's been unusually hot, there is nothing to say weather won't quickly return to "normal" temperature ranges. As TJ points out, having a warm sleeping system and not needing it beats the snot out of not having one when you do.

Good luck!

Accuweather lists forecast lows for Monson dropping below 50 F starting on 9/16. Add in wet weather, elevation, accuracy issues, etc. I would also go with a warmer system.

Has been the same here in NY (heat wave for the last 3 days), but is supposed to be cooler this coming week, so it kind of makes sense that is happening all around the region as well.

Can imagine it’s hard to imagine being chilly while sitting in Florida. But as others have said here, the discomfort of a too warm sleep system is vastly outweighed by the discomfort of one not warm enough. Especially if you have to camp in the col between the two Bigelow peaks.

I wouldn't carry a 50 degree quilt or sleeping bag to tent camp in the Whites or in Maine even in the dead of summer. I had a 30 degree bag when I was there at the end of July.

Thanks for all the info.

I took the 20F quilt. I got warm a few times but the nice part of using a quilt is one can give a quick kick to let in some cool air.

The approaching hurricane chased me off trail half way through my hike. I made it home today safe.

I hope those still on trail stay safe.

Journal Entries
    Images

With the current rain and warmer temps, I'm hoping they may have an extended Fall Foliage season!! I seriously considering jumping into their Crayola Box of Colors for a month or so later this month into October/early November.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

++ New Posts ++