WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dried Fruit

Default Dried Fruit

I'm looking for an inexpensive source of dried fruit. (Bulk) Any ideas?

Mangoes (unsweetened) and apricots were favorites

I’m on the West coast and bought my dried fruit at Winco. Do you guys have winco? Mangoes with Tajin were my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Seachelle33 View Post
    I’m on the West coast and bought my dried fruit at Winco. Do you guys have winco? Mangoes with Tajin were my favorite.
    Unfortunately, that is only a western chain

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    I'm looking for an inexpensive source of dried fruit. (Bulk) Any ideas?
    Try nuts.com

Trader Joe’s has pretty good prices on freeze dried berries. Better weight efficiency, but once you open them you need to finish.

We bought an inexpensive dehydrator and do it ourselves, meat and vegetables too. For fruit it's important to avoid sulfured products, which excludes most all large scale suppliers. I think it's good to avoid sugared dried fruit too. Dried fruit has quite enough sugar in it naturally.

I just eat plain sugar, it is a sort of dried fruit.

Nuts.com is pretty expensive. Any got a source someplace cheaper?

Costco usually has 16 oz bags of dried apricots, figs, mangoes, plums, blueberries, and all sorts of nuts. They currently have the same size of dried persimmons that I really like, which have only one ingredient.... persimmons.

I seem to recall you're in PA, somewhere near Michaux State Forest, or at least within reasonable driving distance. There should be multiple farm-market style stores, likely run by Mennonites nearby which would have dried fruit.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    We bought an inexpensive dehydrator and do it ourselves, meat and vegetables too. For fruit it's important to avoid sulfured products, which excludes most all large scale suppliers. I think it's good to avoid sugared dried fruit too. Dried fruit has quite enough sugar in it naturally.
    Just do this dehydrate your own. You can customize your fruit to your taste, make your own jerky.
    Hell you can dehydrate some wine and have your fruit and relaxing cocktail by the multi purpose)

Yes, your right. I live near The Iron Master's Hostel. ( 1 & 1/2 hours away.) The only problem, everything is close about now. Now back I guess to Amazon, I guess.

Lidl has a decent selection of dried fruit in bags small enough to take on a trip without repackaging.

I've ordered from Emergency Essentials in the past. They have freeze dried everything. I just took a quick look and saw blueberries, raspberries, banana, peaches.

My other go-to for freeze dried food is just see what's on sale at Amazon.

Will point out that no dried or freeze dried fruit is very efficient in terms of calories per gram/ounce. Neither is beef jerky, FWIW. Nuts and seeds are best for that. Not that that efficiency is the only consideration, but it should be one, and near the top.

Images

11-pound box of Jumbo Medjool Dates – a celebration of natural sweetness! These super jumbo dates are hand-picked for superior quality, offering a delightful burst of flavor. They are tight skinned and about 30% moist with a chewy texture. Elevate your palate with the finest Jumbo Medjool Dates from Golden Dates Farm today!

https://goldendatesfarm.com/products...l-dates-11-lbs

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    11-pound box of Jumbo Medjool Dates – a celebration of natural sweetness! These super jumbo dates are hand-picked for superior quality, offering a delightful burst of flavor. They are tight skinned and about 30% moist with a chewy texture. Elevate your palate with the finest Jumbo Medjool Dates from Golden Dates Farm today!

https://goldendatesfarm.com/products...l-dates-11-lbs
    Thanks for the link.

Images

Once you try those date you'll get addicted to them.

I already am, just would rather buy direct from the grower. They freeze quite well so I keep them frozen and dole them out. Those and wild blueberries I pick from Rumford Whitecap in Andover Maine looking over to a large part of the AT in Maine are my winter fruit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++