WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default (un)Packing Fears ~ Getting Home from Katahdin

So my wife asked me how I plan to Get Back Home Again to Indiana after finishing. Being married I am not always the brightest crayon in the box so maybe she was hinting she didn’t want to drive 17+ hours to pick up her smelly husband. Doing the math with gas, food, and lodging for such a long car trip I should be able to get an airline flight cheaper if I can get to an airport. I will be retired so I do not have any pending deadlines other than wanting to see my wife after I shower. Most of the items popping up when I researched were older and pre-COVID so I am uncertain if the old advice works in the New Normal today.

Help me come up with a plan/options.

Very good question...... For me, I will worry about this as I get closer to Katadin. The current plan is for my wife to drive out and summit with me. This will likely change? If we make it and summit near the same date, you are more then welcome to ride back to Indiana with us .

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    So my wife asked me how I plan to Get Back Home Again to Indiana after finishing. Being married I am not always the brightest crayon in the box so maybe she was hinting she didn’t want to drive 17+ hours to pick up her smelly husband. Doing the math with gas, food, and lodging for such a long car trip I should be able to get an airline flight cheaper if I can get to an airport. I will be retired so I do not have any pending deadlines other than wanting to see my wife after I shower. Most of the items popping up when I researched were older and pre-COVID so I am uncertain if the old advice works in the New Normal today.

Help me come up with a plan/options.
    Free, downloadable shuttle providers list found on the WB home page. Many operators cover the Katahdin area.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Your closest real airport (i.e., one with commercial service) is Bangor International. It has flights going out to much larger airports (including O'Hare) that can get you where you need to go. As for getting a ride to Bangor, there are bound to be shuttles that will get you back to Millinocket or Medway and from Medway you can take the bus to Bangor. It will probably take a bit of finagling to get it all arranged, but it should be possible to get back home from Katahdin on your own.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Keep in mind Bangor does not have a lot fo good flight options and they tend to be expensive. It may be better int he long run to take the bus down to Portland which has better flight options. You can also take the Downeaster Amtrak train to North Station in Boston.

After summit of Katahdin I went down to parking lot. Getting a ride into Millinocket was very easy as so many want to hear your story. I stayed in the Appalachian Trail Hostel. Next morning took bus to Bangor and then caught plane home. The people at the hostel can help get you to the bus. It was pretty easy.

Shuttle from Baxter to Millinocket, stay the night at the hostel, they take you to the once-a-day bus heading south from Medway to Bangor. The bus station is across from the airport, but most take the bus 0n to Portland (bigger airport & Amtrak) or on down to Boston (huge airport and trains south.)

The Nobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2023
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

One FYI about Boston. Trains from Maine end up in North Station, trains heading south go from South Station. They are not connected by rail. Rather than mess with the T (local transit system) plan on walking the mile or so between the stations. Logan Airport is the airport near Boston. The Downeaster train from Maine does not go to the airport so you will need to either take the T or cab from North Station to the airport. The tunnel connecting Boston with the airport is closed this summer so plan on it taking a while. Far better to take the Concord Trailways bus from Portland as it stops at both Logan Airport and South station in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    One FYI about Boston. Trains from Maine end up in North Station, trains heading south go from South Station. They are not connected by rail. Rather than mess with the T (local transit system) plan on walking the mile or so between the stations. Logan Airport is the airport near Boston. The Downeaster train from Maine does not go to the airport so you will need to either take the T or cab from North Station to the airport. The tunnel connecting Boston with the airport is closed this summer so plan on it taking a while. Far better to take the Concord Trailways bus from Portland as it stops at both Logan Airport and South station in Boston.
    And which one would have trains heading west (like to NY, Chicago etc.)? Since that would be a possible option as well for this poster (trying to return to Indiana), if somewhat slower and longer, and assuming NY can keep the trains running (hasn't been too good the last month +, but hopefully that was just a coincidence of several things at one time).

I am liking this Train idea. it's been 30 years since I took the train to DC. Billy is correct that I will need to head west to get home to Indiana. I assume there are no TSA agents to deal with as far as my backpacking gear (fuel, poles, knife) but will look at Amtrak's website later.

South Station has the connections to the rest of the Amtrak system (south and west and north (but not east to Maine). South Station also has multiple bus lines heading out of New England. North Station is a commuter rail and bus hub of little interest to someone heading out of New England but of interest to regional commuters.

And while we are discussing transportation idiosyncrasies, all the regional bus lines and Amtrak end up at the Portland Transporation Center is within sight of the Portland Airport but a couple of mile walk as Fore River is in between the two. There is a local bus (Route 5) https://gpmetro.org/290/Route-5---Maine-Mall but factor in some time to get to the airport.

I am liking this Train idea. it's been 30 years since I took the train to DC. Billy is correct that I will need to head west to get home to Indiana. I assume there are no TSA agents to deal with as far as my backpacking gear (fuel, poles, knife) but will look at Amtrak's website later.
    Sometimes agents will check Amtrak baggage.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/Busine...nd%20a%20bomb.

Here is a list of prohibited items in Amtrak luggage.
    https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/bagga...ted-items.html

Journal Entries

How to get to Springer, when to get to Springer and how to get home from Katahdin where the big 3 questions I had going into my thru hike. Those are something I prayed about, and in my prayers my questions mainly focused on the first 2, with the acknowledgment and realization that if I was able to get from GA to ME on my own, getting home afterwards would not be a problem, and asked God to mainly focus on the first 2 and let that 3rd one figure itself out over the 2000 miles.

As it turned out a friend of mine, once finding out about my thru hike plans offered to drive me from NY to GA to start my hike during her spiring break, this was the answer to the first 2 questions I prayed about. And really as I hiked I found that getting home again wouldn't be a problem as I was used to trail travel and knew I could get home again. As it turned out my end date was also a break in her schedule and she was overjoyed to join me on my summit of Katahdin and then she took me back home (along with 2 other thru hikers on their way back), answering my 3rd prayer question.

So I would say there are public transport options that may involve multiple changes, but possible especially after months on trail, which is certainly a fall back, but also some kind hearts may also be part of the equation. Just see what opens up and happy trails.

I have been going to BSP about every other year since the mid seventies. I have kept an eye out to give hikers a ride eversince and never found one to give a ride to. The state highway dead ends at the park gate. Almost everyone heading out of the southern end of the park is heading to Millinocket and then to Medway where the interstate exit is. From there 95% of the folsk are heading south through Bangor as its pretty desolate between Medway and Bangor. From the interstate exit in Bangor its about 2 mile walk to the airport. Most visitors to BSP are outdoor folks and most would be happy to give a through hiker a ride.

Taking Amtrak would be a good choice. In 2014 I did this trip in reverse -- from Indiana out to Baxter. It takes a while, delays are practically baked in to Amtrak trips anywhere, and schedules have quirks, but if you're not in a hurry and willing to enjoy the trip, this could be a very good choice for you. I was eager to get out there and get started, but still enjoyed every minute of the trip out there. For someone ending their adventure and heading home, I would think that this option would allow for some good "transition" time, giving you some time to reflect, decompress (whatever you want to call it) rather than dealing with other, more hectic options.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

++ New Posts ++