WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 18 Day Quest for Five Creeks

This backpacking trip happens from May 26 to June 12, 2023.

All of it is done in the Bald River backcountry of Tennessee and along these five creeks:
    Sycamore Creek
    Brookshire Creek
    Kirkland Creek
    Bald River
    Tellico River.

Amazingly, I see no backpackers for the entire trip. The trip starts out on the Benton MacKaye trail which I stay on for the first 10 days---and I still see no one.

The trip starts at Mud Gap on the BMT when Little Mitten drops me off and we say our goodbyes.

After a two mile climb with a 100 lb McHale pack I reach Whiggs Meadow at 5,000 feet and decide to hike another half mile to a secret CS I discovered on a previous trip.

This is the location of my secret CS on the west side of Whiggs Meadow---next to Roaring Branch Creek for camp water.

Getting water from Roaring Branch Creek on the west side of the Whigg. My tent is nearby.

On Day 2 I leave the Whigg and descend to the top trailhead of Sycamore Creek trail.

I reach Sycamore Creek and set up camp nearby.

On Day 3 I keep descending Sycamore Creek trail and reach a favorite CS on a switchback behind this trailsign.

A CS on Sycamore Creek showing off my summer sleeping bag/quilt---a WM Everlite coming in at 14 oz.

At the bottom of Sycamore Creek trail I pass this old cabin with footbridge.

It's time to say goodbye to Sycamore Creek.

The BMT crosses Tellico River road at this point and climbs hard up Sugar Mt.

A nice blowdown welcomes me on my hot climb up Sugar Mt.

There are 10 switchbacks up to the top of Sugar Mt and I stop on SB 5 for a break with a fresh orange.

The BMT lets me know another switchback is coming as I near the top of Sugar Mt.

Thankfully near the top of Sugar Mt there's a spring so I load up water for a mountaintop CS.

I pass over Sugar Mt and reach the second creek in my quest---Brookshire---which I have to cross in crocs.

As I climb Brookshire Creek trail I pass this pretty sight.

The top of Brookshire Creek trail ends here in Sled Runner Gap on State Line Ridge so I set up camp for the night.

Wild edibles augment my trip and this is the root of solomon seal.

Sled Runner Gap is right next to Rocky Top Mt and the descent off Rocky Top is very steep so I slap on my backpacking cleats for safer footing with my heavy pack.

State Line Ridge is a roller coaster from Sled Runner Gap to Sandy Gap and along the way there are the Round Top Hills---with Hill #5 having this spring water source which I use so I can camp a couple hundred yards beyond.

I set up camp beyond the spring in Round Top Cove somewhere east of Nit Top Mt.

I stay on State Line Ridge and finally reach Moss Gap where I almost decide to squat but it's too nice a day so I keep moving to Sandy Gap.

In Sandy Gap I meet Anna who with her husband owns a small private land parcel abutting the BMT in the gap.

I prepare to leave Sandy Gap and the BMT and enter the jungle of Upper Bald River wilderness on the Kirkland Creek trail into a doghobble valley.

Kirkland Creek crossing #4 and one of 11 such crossings.

The last crossing on Kirkland Creek trail is over Bald River---so I punch out two more creek quests.

I finish Kirkland trail and enter Bald River wilderness and stop here at Cascade waterfall for a long pleasant break.

As I backpack north thru Bald River wilderness I use my trail tools to clear trail and stop at this nasty one.

Voila cleared enough for me to scoot under with my pack.

I set up camp by Rock Ledge and do a dayhike trailwork run downstream (north) to this spot---the Black Cave.

A disfigured rock on Bald River trail left by redneck idiots.

Welcome to Tennessee.

I return to my CS by the Rock Ledge.

On Day 16 I leave my Rock Ledge CS and do a ranging dayhike up Cow Camp trail to Tellico River---this is where Cow Camp comes out by the river.

I pull a Cow Camp/Tellico River loop and stop at Baby Falls for a pic.

I return to camp and make friends with a black bear who investigates the area.

On Day 17 I continue north on Bald River trail and set up a last night spot in the Black Cave Camps.

On Day 18 I leave camp and pass some nice falls on Bald River trail.

I exit Bald River wilderness and decide to roadwalk Tellico River road about 8 miles down to the Ranger station. Here I say goodbye to Bald River Falls.

I make it to the Ranger station and so the trip ends as I wait for Little Mitten to pick me up.

Good stuff Tipi. Admire your drive to get out there

So awesome you have so much national forest land to go to and get into true nature, and not seeing any other hikers! Love looking at your trip reports, it’s nice to see people truly enjoying nature ��

Journal Entries

No snakes???? I'm disappointed. Glad to see a bear, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Me 2, thanks for sharing you monster that carries that monster pack!

Your trip reports are the reason I visit WB. What an adventure! I need to spend more time on the BMT.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Midges bother me alot more than heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlonesome View Post
    So awesome you have so much national forest land to go to and get into true nature, and not seeing any other hikers! Love looking at your trip reports, it’s nice to see people truly enjoying nature 👍
    Yes, it was a lonely trip but satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    No snakes???? I'm disappointed. Glad to see a bear, though.
    My snake mojo is apparently getting replaced with bear mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Me 2, thanks for sharing you monster that carries that monster pack!
    Monster pack, short mile days explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    Your trip reports are the reason I visit WB. What an adventure! I need to spend more time on the BMT.
    It's a great trail since it offers many blue blaze opportunities---like Cohutta/Big Frog, Bald River and Citico/Slickrock.

Thank you for sharing your adventures. The stories and pictures fuel my desire to get outside.

Charlotte

++ New Posts ++