WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Emergency information for family & friends

So we probably all remember Aron Ralston, who was hiking in Utah when he had an accident and spent 5 days with his arm pinned by a boulder; near death, he ultimately saved his own life by cutting off his arm and hiking out to find rescuers. There are innumerable stories of lost and injured hikers where one major commonality is that they failed to tell anyone where they were going, or when they should be expected back, etc...and their stories often don't end well.

Many people think this will never happen to them because they know better, or they have a lot of experience, or they have a lot of good "stuff"...or they've just always been lucky.

I hope that I know better, and I keep learning from experience (my own and that of others), I do have "stuff", and I've always been luckier than I deserve, but it's really easy to become complacent or lazy, or life marches on and we don't keep up with some changes like we should...changes to our bodies, or our habits, or even changes in our family & friend networks.

So I'm interested to know: When you go out hiking, be it for a dayhike or longer, what is your safety practice? I know that many people carry PLB's or satellite messenger devices, and of course 99% of us bring our smartphones with us and we depend on these devices -- but devices can & do fail in various ways, so do you have a safety plan in place other than an electronic device?

I've always had someone at home who knew where I was going, when I'd be back, etc...but my life has changed and I now live alone. I live in a different city than my daughter, and a different state than the rest of my family. I have friends & neighbors who live near by. So now when I go out -- even for just a day -- I will give a short FYI-type text to my daughter & friends ("Hey I've gone for a little hike out at....") and let them know when I plan to be back (and I notify them when I am back.) When I park at the trailhead, I leave a short note on the front seat that says which trail I took. If I'm going to be gone for more than a day, I'll leave a note on my kitchen table with information about where I've gone, and who can & should be contacted.

Curious to know what others do, and if there are suggestions for improvement.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Garlic
    Images

I heard a humorous but good tip once. Tell two people where you'll be--one you love, and one you trust.

Having ID on your body should be one part of your safety plan. Having someone who has found you (unconscious?) be able to contact someone you love (or trust) is really important. Our family has been using RoadID products for a couple of decades for bicycling and hiking. We will have emergency contact information on our backpack or in our bicycle bag. Equally important is always having emergency contact on your person when you are away from your pack(*). I'm old and it is rare that I am awake and not wearing a wristwatch so I have my emergency information on my watchband, previously we wore necklace based dog tags. Be sure to have more than one contact, preferably one who would be available to take a call. It also is helpful that your emergency contact(s) have some idea of your current activity/adventure to help coordinate with emergency personnel.

(*) There are many times when you may be away from your pack so having some emergency ID on your person at all times is important. Think slackpacking, choking to death in a restaurant while your pack is outside, during a zero in town, a bear has run off with your pack while a gang of racoons ravage your body. Also make sure your emergency contact info can be found in/on your pack so someone does not have to unload your entire pack looking for it.

While RoadID (look at their DogID products too) makes great products there are many other options that can be more price friendly. A simple laminated luggage tag on your backpack. A pet ID printed at your local PetSmart. A dog tag from your local Army Surplus store. While electronic, I would also be interested in hearing how people may incorporate Apple AirTags into their overall emergency planning.

RoadID_watch.jpg RoadID.jpg

FWIW - With an eye towards simplification I always carry my drivers license and a cell phone with my wife's cell phone number labeled ICE (in case of emergency) in the phone directory. These two items are always in a pocket in case an errant bear carts the pack away, poor positioning causes a loss of a pack down a cliff face, or trail thieves manage to snatch it. I also unlock the phone before I start out so if someone needs to make a call with it they can. Granted a low tech practice but I have used this for years (fortunately it never had to be put to the test). For hikes that take me into wilderness areas or very remote trails open to the public, I carry a SPOT device.

Funny thing about preparedness of this type is when someone is well prepared they seldom if ever need it. Not ever needing it however, is often the reason people cite for not being better prepared.

I did lots of my hikes in areas where SAR is non existant, so I'm used to behave in the most safe way I can, to not get into troubles in the first place.

In the time before I had a cell phone, during a two weeks solo hike in the Sinai Desert, I just gave my wife a printout of the estimated route I'd be hiking, just in case I would not come back at all.
    During this hike I met Bedouins sveral times, and kindly asked them to send an SMS to my wife that I'm OK, so it was a funny thing for my wife receiving OK-messages from unknown senders at random times.

Now I'm carrying a phone and I do most of my hikes in our country, but we agreed that I might send her a text sometimes, but she should not expect this on a regular basis.
    Still, I'd focus my hike on performing without troubles.
    We have quite a lot of hikers out there in the more recent years, and our SAR system works really well.
    SAR is on duty almost daily here in the Alps, and I read the reports on a regular basis, always trying to find out what the most common issues are.
    The most common issue are: No light, and phone battery. People get lost, get injured or stuck in odd places, and there is signal but battery is near-empty or dead.
    So I always carry a head lamp plus spare batteries, and a fully charged phone. On mulitiday hikes I usually carry two phones plus a powerbank.

Upcoming is a hike in a extremely remote area where there is no signal and no civilisation for the whole stretch, so I consider carrying a SPOT (or similar).
    Still, my main focus is on keeping myself safe the whole time.

For those who for whatever reason don’t want to tell someone their itinerary, here is an alternative I read about.

Place your itinerary in an obvious place in your home. Like on the fridge door or something. If you are missing and authorities decide to check your residence, they will have something to work with.

There's a lot of reliance on phones, but at least out west (WY, MT, WA) there's no signal in the best hiking areas. On the PCT we just turned off our phones for over a week, it was hopeless.

But I'm reminded of remarks from Search and Rescue personnel I once heard, that they had one lost person after another who managed a call and then their phone battery died. So don't place all your hope in your phone.

Experienced hikers in these areas (including most of the PCT thru hikers I met) carry the new satellite gadgets, as well as considerable survival equipment and food.

We're all only a broken ankle away from walking oblivion; I've seen it happen--you're not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    There's a lot of reliance on phones, but at least out west (WY, MT, WA) there's no signal in the best hiking areas. On the PCT we just turned off our phones for over a week, it was hopeless.
    I refer to No Service on my phone as the Perfect Monday. I do give one trusted person at work my Garmin contact information.

Note my phone lock screen includes my wife's phone number to call as an emergency contact or if I lose my phone and an honest person finds it and wants to return it.

Monday.jpg

I lay a map out on the dining room table with notes attached to it as to my whereabouts[approximate] for each day/night. I also call wife[who rarely hikes] every day at least once so she can update my position on the map.
    One time I forgot to turn the cellphone off and the battery ran out. A stranger allowed me to use their phone to call her. Since then I have always taken a battery recharge bank with me.
    I like the idea of having home phone attached somewhere in the pack.

I'm enjoying with interest everyone's responses. In addition to leaving information with a couple of people as to my expected whereabouts, I also make sure that I have ID and pertinent medical information with me (or more accurately, *on* me, in dog tag form.) I also keep a small laminated note card with various phone numbers, because ever since smart phones came along, I can't remember anyone's phone number anymore! I've used a Sharpie and written very basic contact info (first initial, last name, and phone number) on the inside of my pack, but everything else about me is on me or with me at all times.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I do a lot of solo backpacking. I do a lot of what is mentioned in this thread - I have a RoadID attached to my watch, and I now carry a Garmin inReach.
    I leave a fairly detailed route description with my wife. It includes a description of the vehicle I am driving, and the trailhead where I will be parking. It includes the names of the trails I will be on, and approximate location I will be camping each night. If there is a chance of changing my plans, I include those details as well. I include phone numbers for the local sheriff and/or the park ranger. Once all of that is written out, I snap a picture to text it to my wife. I then leave a physical copy in my parked car at the trailhead, usually folded over with "In case of emergency" written on it on the driver's seat or dashboard.
    I also give my wife two times - one when she should start to worry, and one to call the sheriff.
    "I should get back to the car by noon on Sunday. If you do not hear from me by 1pm on Sunday, start to worry. If you still do not hear from me by 3pm on Sunday, call the sheriff."
    The "call the sheriff" time gives me enough time that even if I destroy or lose my phone on the trip, I can get somewhere I can make a phone call to her.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Good stuff.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Just to add, in case SAR is necessary:
    Most of our hiking paths here in the Alps lead over mountaintops, and on every summit, plus many other prominent points there is a book&pen stashed in a waterproof metal box.
    Its common habit that every hiker passing by, or resting on the summit puts his name&date in the book (plus, some write small poems or drawings).
    In case SAR has to get active, first thing they do is looking for the car, second is they go by 4wd and copter to the prominent points and summits to read the recent notes in those books.
    So its good practice to write down name, date&time in those books, its so much easier for the SAR people to narrow down the search area in case you get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I also give my wife two times - one when she should start to worry, and one to call the sheriff.
    "I should get back to the car by noon on Sunday. If you do not hear from me by 1pm on Sunday, start to worry. If you still do not hear from me by 3pm on Sunday, call the sheriff."
    The "call the sheriff" time gives me enough time that even if I destroy or lose my phone on the trip, I can get somewhere I can make a phone call to her.
    Great idea. I plan to use it.

I carry vital info such as drivers license, insurance cards, cash, & cheat sheet of contact info in a money belt under my hiking shirt. A small amount of cash is also placed in hidden location in my pack.

A check-in text is sent to my wife every night to let her know everything is ok with an InReach message is preset message when this is not possible. The "one I trust" also has my plans which include Forest Service Office contact info. One of the complications occurred when I arrived at a trailhead not having cell service only to find out my InReach was not operational (I flagged down a car and asked them to send a text on my behalf).

My InReach has several preset texts indicating delays that do not constitute emergencies.

I may have missed it but did anyone mention making sure your loved one knows what you are wearing for clothing, even taking a photo of you? Knowing what your backpack looks like? I usually hike in bright colors but that could mean green or orange or bright yellow and my backpack is a zpacks in orange and black.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Since most of my hikes are solo, I always make sure my wife knows where my truck will be parked and where I intend to hike. A lot of my hikes are "work" related so the local ranger is alerted to my whereabouts as well. Along with my cell phone, which I only just started carrying and still consider pretty worthless in the woods, I leave a detailed itinerary with my wife. I also have my personal information written in magic marker on my sit pad that's with me. Also, while my wallet stays locked up in my truck, I do bring my old college employee ID with me so I'm easy to identify should that be needed. There's probably more I could do but that seems to work for me.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Journal Entries
    Images

All of the above is good stuff.

When I needed MedicAlert type info, I got red dog tags. The set I wear (both around my neck and laced into my boot) has medical info and my PCP's name and phone number on it. A second tag is on my backpack with my wife's phone number in case somebody finds the pack but not me.

I use a SPOT device and drop footprints hourly and force messages in the AM and PM. My wife knows my itinerary.

I carry my cell phone and an external battery.

When I started backpacking, especially solo, my wife takes "this is what he was wearing photos" for SAR.

Like Traveler said above - it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. PPPPPPP
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    A check-in text is sent to my wife every night to let her know everything is ok with an InReach message is preset message when this is not possible. The "one I trust" also has my plans which include Forest Service Office contact info. One of the complications occurred when I arrived at a trailhead not having cell service only to find out my InReach was not operational (I flagged down a car and asked them to send a text on my behalf).
    I do have an inReach, though I have seen message delays and failures from time to time. As a result, I have told my wife to not worry if she does not receive a message from my inReach. I would never want to tell her "If I do not contact your via my inReach every night, call SAR." I just see that causing more issues.

I tell her that if there is an actual emergency, I will use the inReach to call SAR directly.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post

But I'm reminded of remarks from Search and Rescue personnel I once heard, that they had one lost person after another who managed a call and then their phone battery died. So don't place all your hope in your phone.

Experienced hikers in these areas (including most of the PCT thru hikers I met) carry the new satellite gadgets, as well as considerable survival equipment and food.

We're all only a broken ankle away from walking oblivion; I've seen it happen--you're not going anywhere.
    Good point, though I think a lot of phone use these days is their GPS can be a handy tool to find yourself or a lost trail and get back on track. However, battery life may interfere with that or GPS satellites may be hidden from the phone when you need it. Making the old map and compass tools a state of the art navigation tool. I keep both a phone and map/compass handy, especially in untrammeled wilderness that looks the same regardless where you are.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Since you asked

Curious to know what others do
    Because EVERYONE is one mis-step away from a bone break that will make serious movement impossible, you need to ask yourself two questions about that scenario:
    1) How long will I comfortably survive with what I'm carrying?
    2) How long will I probably wait before someone finds me?
    If the answer to (2) is much larger than (1), then you MUST do something to reduce (2). What I do is give my daily itinerary to my wife, with instructions on who to phone if I'm out of contact for an unusual amount of time. Knowing that one key to being found is to ensure that searchers know where I've been, I also (1) text my wife with my location once or twice a day, and (2) write something in the logbook of each shelter I pass, even if nothing more than, "Goldenbear was at this place on the afternoon of Friday the 13th." That way, searchers can rapidly concentrate their efforts along that part of The Trail where they know I've entered.

A $3 trail whistle is the best investment to getting found once you know that people are nearby looking for you. Any blast from a whistle will help people find you, even if they're a kilometer away. Further advice along these lines:
    https://www.outdoors.org/resources/a...-in-the-woods/

Three minor things that might help:
    1) Ensure that your trusted friend has a recent photo of what you'll look like while hiking. Searchers always ask people on the trail, "Do you remember seeing this person?"
    2) Give some sweaty socks to your friend, so bloodhounds will have a REALLY strong scent to follow.
    3) Take a photo of the bottom of your shoes. Strange as it may seem, searchers do look at footprints to further locate where people have walked. Yes, a rain or well-worn trail will obscure these, but that's why I call these ideas "minor."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++