WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fords - rainy week heading out.

We’re heading out — and it looks like it’s going to be a rainy week.
    Just how hairy are the cords in the 100 mile? Will this rain make crossings impossible? What should we expect?

I don't know the answer to your question but my brother-in-law and I will be heading north from Harpers Ferry later today, see you at the 3/4 way point? Good luck to us both!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spring.Bear View Post
    We’re heading out — and it looks like it’s going to be a rainy week.
    Just how hairy are the cords in the 100 mile? Will this rain make crossings impossible? What should we expect?
    The spring melt has already occurred and trees are leafed out so stream flows tend to be far lower even in rainy events. The biggest challenge is the water is going to be cold. Given the current forecast its not a great week except for hypothermia.

I've been through the wilderness multiple times. The typical advice is that the water drops in 24 hours at most. If you have an extended map saved electronically, many of the streams have reasonable bridge access not mentioned/shown on the MATC maps. Don't expect cell phone coverage.

Near Monson, I hit Big Wilson stream after torrential rains the day and night before. This is typically a rock hop. There were blazes on rocks two feet under water before you hit the main channel. The crossing was unsafe with lots of rocks and swift rolling water. After a few hours, there was no discernable drop in flow. With people on both sides, two of us crossed in a deep slower section after sending packs across on a line. We were never without a hand or log hold. Two additional NOBO's choose to head back to Monson. In August, this was warm water crossing.

I later found out that two earlier hikers got swept off their feet but got safely across. There is a bridge about 2 miles downstream that I didn't know about at the time. The first road (dirt/gravel) on both sides of the trail connect to this downstream bridge. As a high water detour SOBO, the only additional mileage is the doubling back to the road 3/4 mile each way.

If I ever make another trip, I will bring the appropriate Maine Delorme pages. Make sure to explore Gulf Hagas, it is a beautiful area.

If you climb Katahdin in wet weather be sure to add a layer or two before the last mile. It gets windy, cold and miserable extremely fast.

Good luck and have a safe journey.

++ New Posts ++