WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Camping at the top of Bromley, worth the water haul.

Be sure to have a bug head net going into MA, especially around Great Barrington.

“Up for Breakfast” cafe in Manchester Center VT is pretty damn good, and there is a good outfitter across the street.

somers515, your updates are wonderful! I'm so glad to read you have been safe through all the water, rain and flooding. The heat and humidity and wet, slick and/or muddy trail are an awful combination—it's amazing that you have such upbeat posts through it all. Thank you so much for posting some of the details of your journey!

^^ What Lauriep said and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.

686 miles down, 1512 miles to go. Massachusetts was great if a little muddy in parts. Upper Goose Pond shelter was beautiful and the morning pancakes makes it definitely worth the side trail. Cookie Lady 2.0 was a great spot and I picked myself almost a pound of blueberries. Greylock was covered in clouds but I saw the view on a previous hike so I was ok. We splurged a little on a hotel in North Adams after a more reasonably priced place in Williamstown flaked on us. Then it was back on familiar trail for me on the Long Trail. Can anyone explain why they “closed” the old Seth Warner site which has water and lots of nice tent sites when the new location has zero water or tent spots? Got nice views over Stratton and Killington and now staying at the Inn at Long Trail. Classic spot with great food and friendly staff and we took a zero day. Will update again on my next zero day. Happy hiking all!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Oh and I met a fellow whiteblazer at the Inn at Long Trail. ChicknFngrs? Something like that. If you see this hope the rest of the Long Trail went well for you!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

I wrote to the GMC and got a nice thoughtful response about Seth Warner. Hopefully the new Seth Warner will get some tent spots or platforms at some point. Feel free to write them if you feel the same way. Anyway in Hanover, NH today but not taking a zero and I only update this thread on zero days. :-)

Awesome that's pretty cool you got to meet chknfngrs!
    Yes sir the inn at long trail was a great stay for sure!
    I drove up a few years and did some snowshoeing and skiing at picham ski resort. And actually had to good of a time in the Irish pub with great food and drinks and good people!

800 miles down, 1398 miles to go. Left the Inn at Long Trail and stayed the next night at the Lookout. It’s a private cabin but they allow hikers to sleep inside (I rented nearby). But the part that makes this a can’t miss location is the roof deck that they built. You can watch the sunset over the Green Mountains and the sunrise over the White Mountains. Even if mileage wise it doesn’t work out, drop your pack and check out the amazing views. Best view between Killington and Moosilauke for sure. Then a couple days later we were out of Vermont and into New Hampshire. Hanover, NH is a great trail town and I think we got our money’s worth at the Dartmouth dining hall ($16 for all you can eat). Then it was a couple of days of hiking that warmed us up for the Whites. Got caught in a pouring rain and very lucky to have the Smarts Mountain cabin to dry out in. After tenting and getting our resupply at the Hikers Welcome hostel we hiked up and over Moosilauke and then the next day up and over the Kinsmans. We got amazing views on Moosilauke and high winds and drizzle on the Kinsmans. Then made it down to the Flume Visitors Center and now taking a zero at the Notch hostel. Bittersweet day as it my brother-in-laws last day on trail. Tomorrow he goes home and I’ll head up the Franconia Ridge.

What was your brother in laws trail name?? Keep on trucking!!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    What was your brother in laws trail name?? Keep on trucking!!
    Bucket. Wouldn’t haven’t gotten this far without him. Kept us honest in the beginning to our plan to not do too many miles too soon and hooked me up with some great flexibility exercises (looking at you Tibialis raises) and all around terrific hiking partner. He made the right decision for himself and he should be very proud of his 800 miles!

875 miles down, 1323 miles to go. The Whites were amazing and even though I’ve backpacked the NH 48 before it was so cool to do it as part of this thru hike attempt. The talk of the day was a 90 mph wind gust reading up on Franconia Ridge and the caretaker at Liberty Springs tentsite was warning everyone. I had checked the weather forecast and saw that the winds were supposed to moderate some later in the day so I purposely went slow and was rewarded with just normal wind and great views. Some of my fellow thru hikers went early and said it was pretty sketchy and barely any views. Camped near Garfield Pond and the next day woke up early to catch the sunrise on Garfield. Made my way to another legal dispersed site along the Pemi river a couple of miles after Zealand Hut. Oh and at each Hut had a great experience purchasing a baked good or soup and chatting with the Croo. Next it was up to Nauman tentsite on another windy day but it set me up nicely for a day with perfect weather for the above tree line Presi day and once again amazing views all day long and especially on Mt. Washington. Tented on a platform with 3 other thru hikers at Osgood. Then next day after a pit stop at Pinkham Notch I tented just .25 behind the Carter Notch Hut (Wild River trail I think it was called). Then over the Carters and most of Moriah and into Gorham. Taking a zero here and excited with Maine coming up.

I love reading your updates, somers15! Thank you!

met Logistics in Vermont. He’s the real deal. Helped us a bunch. Also love reading these updates. It’s better than cable tv

Thank you Lauirep! As long as people are enjoying these posts I’ll keep doing so on my zero days. :-)

And thank you Chknfngrs! It was a pleasure meeting you on the LT and you made special memories for your family I am sure!

952 miles down, 1246 miles to go (221 miles to Katahdin!). Left Gorham and climbed up Hayes and over to the very pretty Gentian Pond campsite. Next day as we approached the Maine border and for a long ways after it there were lots of crazy ups and downs, perhaps preparing us for the hardest mile Mahoosuc Notch. I’ve gone thru the Notch before with a daypack in dry conditions and it was a lot of fun, but with a full pack in wet slick conditions well . . let’s just say I’m glad some of my hiking friends kept me company. Camped not far past the Notch. Next day it was still foggy and drizzling and I climbed the Arm and the Old Speck (no views this day but if weather allows check out that fire tower, it’s worth the side trail on a nice day). My wife arranged for a fancy stay for me at the Grand Summit Hotel at Sunday River in Newry, ME. Platinum blazing? I don’t know but I felt like it was. Food was delicious there and I was glad to dry out. Up the Baldplates and nice views and over to Halls Mountain Lean-to. Even though it wasn’t as difficult as the Whites or the first part of Maine I found the hiking slow going over to Bemis Mountain Lean-to. Lots of beautiful ponds on the way over to Rangeley. Got a hitch ride from a nice dayhiker and I’m staying at the Saddleback Inn. .3 walk from a real grocery store and .3 walk from town, Im sold.

If YOU called it slow going it must have been horrendous!

Enjoying the zero day updates somers, thanks.

Thanks for the updates. Look forward to them.

Ha Chcknfngrs! And also thank you crossbar and gjbu! It’s all of your kind words that keep me posting. And now time for another installment of the zero day update. .

1058 miles down, 1140 miles to go (115 miles to Katahdin!). Left Rangeley and had great weather for the Saddlebacks. Dispersed camped near Orbeton Falls and it was just a really nice spot to end a really nice day. The next day didn’t have anything that interested me so I decided to spice things up and take the 1/2 mile side trail to the top of Sugerloaf and was so glad I did. Views were amazing and had the place to myself for quite a while while I enjoyed a snack break by a chairlift. There was an AT marker near the top of the side trail so it must have been the official route at some point. Anyway went back down to the AT and stayed at Crocker Cirque which was a really neat campsite. No moose sighting but I’ll keep trying. The next morning only 7 miles to the road and only the Crockers. I guess all 4000 footers must be respected because it was windy cold and drizzling and my hands were cold. At one point we had trouble opening our snack bags. It wasn’t great. Fortunately as we descended we warmed up and stayed at the Maine Roadhouse hostel outside of Stratton and it was a terrific place. Next day it was up and over the Bigelows. Then I did 3 consecutive 18 mile days. First day ended at Pierce Pond and set myself up well for the pancake breakfast at Harrison camp and the Kennebec ferry the next morning. Got great views from the top of Pleasant Pond Mountain (and someone please tell me if I’m wrong) but I’m pretty sure I could see Baxter peak way in the distance. Then it was 3 more fords including the West Branch of the Piscataquis. Some said it was waist deep but in chatting with hikers coming the other way I learned a different line and it didn’t even get above my knees. Mental note keep chatting with hikers coming the opposite way as you may get a good tip that isn’t in the app. NERO’d into Monson and will zero here too. Staying at the Lakehouse as I wanted a little calmer atmosphere than Shaws but still went over there for the awesome Poets gear shop and to socialize and off course to see the iconic hostel. Planning almost done for the 100 mile wilderness and I’m excited! Next post will be after Katahdin!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++