WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Hanging is over with!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Bear Vaults and Bearikades take the work out of hanging your food, but with a weight penalty. I am pleased with the bear vault, and have seen first hand how a bearikade works. If we all got that perfect hang all the time we’d be golden. But we don’t do we aren’t!
    I have posted in the past on this. The bears are chewing the limbs off of trees up and down the AT, the Cohuttas, Smoky's, Shenandoah, etc..... I have been chasing this for years, and a 'victim' to a lost bag hung on a six-inch Post Oak limb, took 3.5 hours, and it paid the bear. Cansiters or stay home. I now have three of which one is a Bearikade, and don't forget to check out the YouTube vids of compromised Ursacks. I dare you to put that food bag under your head like the older salts do. There are several posts on FarOut where bears ripped into the tents to grab. There are over 200 documented black bear attacks resulting in injuring in Canada alone.(none involved food, have read everyone of them). A guy sitting in a car eating lunch was recently attacked resulting in scratch injuries on Rich Mountain Road in the Smoky's, two guys(father and son) were sitting on the tailgate of their truck eating fried chicken at Rainbow Falls Trailhead, attacked resulting in both being injured and a trip to LeConte Medical. The list goes on and on. They LOVE our food is just a start, but these are wild animals and we are intruders, slyer than a mountain lion, curious as a cat.

Journal Entries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++