WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking in Dalton, MA

I'm a new forum user, so pardon me if I make a mistake. Does anyone know how to contact the Shamrock Village Inn in Dalton, MA? It was recommended to me as a place to leave a car, but their phone number is either blocking me, busy, or takes a message that isn't returned. Are they still open? Do they still provide parking? If not, does anyone have a good suggestion for leaving a car 9 days in Dalton? Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by con underwood View Post
    I'm a new forum user, so pardon me if I make a mistake. Does anyone know how to contact the Shamrock Village Inn in Dalton, MA? It was recommended to me as a place to leave a car, but their phone number is either blocking me, busy, or takes a message that isn't returned. Are they still open? Do they still provide parking? If not, does anyone have a good suggestion for leaving a car 9 days in Dalton? Thanks so much!
    You might try calling the local police department and ask them where there is good place to park.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 05-30-2023 at 12:13.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Just heard from Shamrock Inn. They don't do parking, and have no parking suggestions for Dalton. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. Thanks!

Thanks so much. Those were the numbers and websites that weren't working. They saw my post and contacted me - no parking.

There is a trail parking area where the AT leaves the streets and returns to the woods at the northern end of town (Gulf Road) - the road used to sort of dead end at that point, though it may continue during the nicer weather (might be a seasonally closed type road). I also remember there being a parking area on Depot Street somewhere that was open to the public.

We never stayed that for that length of time, though, so no idea if there would be an issue (not likely with the one at Gulf Road in terms of not being allowed, but not sure if it would have safety issues being kind of "hidden" - the other if a public parking may have time/day limits).

One other thought - I know there are a couple of churches in town, at least one (but not certain what type) right at the intersection of Route 8/9 that the trail passes right by. Probably not something they advertise (as that would have everyone going there and leaving no space for their members), but perhaps worth a contact if you can find them, they may be willing to let someone park in an out of the way section of a lot if you are willing to offer them something (donation) in return, as just about any church is always looking for extra funds.

Sorry you are having trouble - have you tried calling the Town of Dalton and just asking the person who answers when you call the Town Hall? https://dalton-ma.gov/directory/

I've had success in other towns doing that. The local police department is also a good suggestion I would think. Just explain your situation and most people will try to help you! Good luck and report back how it goes for you!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Try the L.P Adams lumber yard not far from where the trail comes out from the Kay Wood Shelter.
    I parked there one day after asking permission while planning a day club hike

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I’ll let you know what I end up with!

Considering the same geography, Can anyone suggest a shuttle to take me from my vehicle at the Gulf Rd. trailhead up tp Mt. Greylock?

Did you end up finding a shuttle up Greylock from Dalton?
    Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    Considering the same geography, Can anyone suggest a shuttle to take me from my vehicle at the Gulf Rd. trailhead up tp Mt. Greylock?

Yes I did. I used Dave Akerson out of North Adams. His phone is 413-652-9573. I highly recommend Dave. I used Dave for two great hikes, Cheshire to Dalton and Greylock to Cheshire. He met me at my car and took to me to the start of my hikes.

++ New Posts ++