WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    I'm all for maximum effort when completing and reporting a thru-hike, but to to hike that entire trail (or do virtually anything over a long period of time) 100% error-free is complete BS. Anyone who can confirm a "purist" thru hike should receive a Nobel Prize and the rest of humanity should quit trying at anything. Regarding "purists," I don't see many people claiming this and hiking from Oglethorpe to Katahdin in army boots with a canvas rucksack full of canned goods. Claiming to be a "purist" on the AT in 2023 is nothing short of mental illness and those folks should make peace with their overbearing parents.
    What he said . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    I've taught kids with OCD. It can be seriously debilitating and has nothing to do with ethics or purism. These kids have habits and issues that they do not choose and cannot break. They struggle with change and toss obstacles in their own path effectively creating procrastination until they fail with the task at hand.

There are an infinite number of ways to "thru-hike" the trail. The OP wanted to understand purism in relation to hiking the trail. For many purists, success has a lot to do with creating strong daily habits which may seem inflexible and obsessive to some but they are not OCD. These habits are chosen.
    100% Daybreak. Thank you for this post. The fact that some on whiteblaze just keep doubling down on comparing purists to an actual disease just because they hike differently is pretty disheartening. I didn't see this type of meanness on the trail but seeing it here on whiteblaze certainly is giving me pause about continuing to post here.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by smithjv View Post
    what he said . . .
    x2,,,,,,,,,,,,,

On a lighter note, I crossed paths with a golfer while taking a zero in Killington VT. In reply to a question, I simply stated that I was hiking from MA to GA via the Appalachian Trail. His response was "You are %!f%! nuts". I didn't disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    100% Daybreak. Thank you for this post. The fact that some on whiteblaze just keep doubling down on comparing purists to an actual disease just because they hike differently is pretty disheartening. I didn't see this type of meanness on the trail but seeing it here on whiteblaze certainly is giving me pause about continuing to post here.
    I hope not, you’ve been a great contributor too. Even WB’s slower pace is still conducive it “open mouth, insert foot” statements. I’ve made my share as well.
    Last edited by HankIV; 11-26-2023 at 19:16. Reason: Add the t to foot

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

For myself, if it's paved or concrete, it's not a trail, and I have no problem skipping road walks. But frankly, I like the chance to walk through a town to resupply, grab a bite to eat and have a cold beer or three.

Images

Default North bound

Oh crud.
    One year NB my hiking partner wanted to walk every step of the way and I was game.
    Looking back ‘for safety’ I think we didn’t walk across most of the roads after going into town. More so when towns were east of the trail.

Think it’s best if I just turn around and walk the trail again to fill in the gaps of that hike.
    Last edited by petedelisio; 03-07-2024 at 05:21. Reason: North bound

Love this!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++