WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Smoky Mountains Eagle creek trail

Hello, new to whiteblaze, was looking for information/guidance on the eagle creek trail by fountana lake.

What type of gear would you recommend for the water crossings and how high are the waters around early June? Any help would be great.

Journal Entries
    Images

That's a tough one here on WB, before I was kicked off of Fb, there was a Really good Smokies hiker page!!! As far as water crossings, I wear Brooks Cascadia's and most quality trailrunners can walk right through the water and dry off within 30 minutes or so with a good wool socks like Darn Tough. You can always go the crocks route, but you know they have all those holes in them so you can lose all your dignity at the same time

Call the ranger station to get updated info before ya leave 865-436-1297 for All updated info.

Have Super Hike!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There's about 16 water crossings and they are all about the same. It doesn't get shallower the farther up hill you travel.
    Each crossing is about 40' wide and averages knee deep, with some places as you cross the main channel getting thigh deep.
    I carry a pair of RedHead Ragin' Water Shoes I ordered from Bass Pro Shop: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redh...-shoes-for-men
    They only weight about 8oz per pair and keep your toes protected. But the bottoms are very thin. No problem for the water crossing, but they are not comfortable to walk in along the trail. You will feel every rock and stick you step on. However, there are several places where the water crossings are VERY close together. When you can keep track of which are close together, it's worth the short walk along the trail in these to avoid having to take the time to put boots back on.

++ New Posts ++