WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I still use my old Therma-Rest Pro-lite self-inflating pad; 1" in width. After it "inflates" I finish it off with a few puffs of air, lay down on it and do the slow release of air trick folks have mentioned above. I can't even remember how many years I've had this pad and it's never given me a bad night's sleep. Be it on the ground or in a shelter, as I side sleeper, I've never had an issue with my hips come morning. Maybe I'm just lucky but at 70 years of age, I'll call that a win!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

For what is worth, I do find myself that it is a lot easier to get comfortable on a self inflating mat than on an air mat including the down filled type ( so not about insulation but feel...) . That is for side sleepers or those like me that change position many times during the night.

Pad: I use an Exped Ultra 5R medium wide.

It weighs 1lb 10.8oz and that includes the storage bag, schnozzle and repair kit. I've used it to the low 20s in a tent on the ground and never felt ground-cold.

I'm a side sleeper and I've had both hips replaced...sometimes it takes work for me to get comfortable. What works best here for me is to inflate it and kneel with one knee on it. If my knee just can feel the ground, that should be comfortable to sleep on.

At least for me, this is the most comfortable lighter-weight pad I've used.

That pad is on sale at REI right now.

Pillows: I hate and won't use inflatable pillows. I bought a WiseOwl small pillow, didn't like the stuffing so cut up a pillow from home and replaced it. It weighs 8.1oz with the storage bag.

I'm old and beat up...I need to sleep and I need to be comfortable to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMoving View Post
    Pad: I use an Exped Ultra 5R medium wide.

It weighs 1lb 10.8oz and that includes the storage bag, schnozzle and repair kit. I've used it to the low 20s in a tent on the ground and never felt ground-cold.

I'm a side sleeper and I've had both hips replaced...sometimes it takes work for me to get comfortable. What works best here for me is to inflate it and kneel with one knee on it. If my knee just can feel the ground, that should be comfortable to sleep on.

At least for me, this is the most comfortable lighter-weight pad I've used.

That pad is on sale at REI right now.

Pillows: I hate and won't use inflatable pillows. I bought a WiseOwl small pillow, didn't like the stuffing so cut up a pillow from home and replaced it. It weighs 8.1oz with the storage bag.

I'm old and beat up...I need to sleep and I need to be comfortable to do it.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the REI sale. I have been using the (discontinued) Exped Synmat UL7, which serves me well. Just bought the Ultra 5R, as the higher R-Value is more appropriate for the shoulder seasons in northern New England. In real winter, I end up bringing multiple pads.

Cool...hope it works for you.

I haven't done any real winter snow camping in a long time. I was in NM the end of April at about 8500' and it snowed for about 15 mins. around 2200. I loved it.

Side sleeper also. I tried several different pads but never got a great night’s sleep until I bought a Thermarest Topo Luxe. Have slept much better since. It’s heavy- almost two pounds but worth the weight penalty for me. I got the regular wide version.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

I’m a side sleeper too. I’ve been using a thermarest type pad with an air pad on top. Semi firm on both pads really helped me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++