WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default suggestions for good gloves or mittens for a thru hike?

I'm currently planning a flip-flop thru hike starting in HF and heading north in early June.

I currently have a pair of lightweight Northface gloves that provide a little warmth when its chilly out but are not even water resistant and get soaked quickly in the rain.
    I also have a pair of bulky warm mittens that I use for mostly just for winter hiking.

Oh wisdom of whiteblaze, what do you recommend for me? No gloves at all? Any lightweight waterproof or water resistant gloves/mitts you like?

I was kinda leaning toward no gloves at all to start but I could imagine a chilly rainy day and I hike with hiking poles so that could get old real quick. Even if your suggestion is no gloves at all, I'm still interested in hearing about any lightweight waterproof or water resistant gloves/mittens that you like.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

I think the great Andrew Skurka wears mittens and a pair of rubber gloves used for washing dishes to keep his hands dry and insulated.
    -- Probably written after hiking 8 miles and drinking a beer or two.

I think for that timeframe you just need something to put on on a cooler night.

If the second half is south from HF, then you’ll want something warmer from Roan Mtn on. And maybe some rain mitts.

I have been wearing army issue black wool gloves (Amazon, $11 or so) for my winter biking. They're good over a wide range of temperatures and when they're soaking wet it doesn't seem to matter a bit. I've been wearing them even up to this week because they're not too warm when it's warm, also. In all of that they act a lot like wool socks, which I have worn exclusively for a couple of decades.

Don't take my word for it, though. Maybe someone else can add something more.

FWIW - I generally keep a pair of Smartwool glove liners in the pack most of the time, even 80 degree days can bring night temperatures in forests can come up chilly and a warm pair of gloves can really make a difference. I like these gloves since they can get soaking wet and still provide warmth, wringing them out they will dry fairly quickly, and can be used year round. They are not the most rugged of outerwear and can be subject to snagging so one has to get used to their limitations handling branches, but a little care and mending brings them back quickly.

Garlic
    Images

I didn't carry gloves in summer on the AT. One cold May day I pulled my spare socks on as thumb-less mittens. For shoulder-season hikes, I have some glove liners, some old ones made by Campmor. One time I used bread bags over them for protection from freezing rain.

I hike year-round in the PNW and rain/cold is a constant in the winter. I use REI fleece gloves and that is what I'd pack for a thru hike. They will keep you warm when damp but I'd keep them in the pack unless needed. Cheap disposable nitrile gloves will act like a vapor barrier and keep you warm while on the move. They won't be cozy and your hands will wrinkle but I use those and the fleece gloves 95% of the time. In snow and really cold rain I've used the Andrew Skurka fish processing gloves. I have them permanently on in my stretchy mesh pocket on the back of my backpack because my wife gets cold hands. They work but for a thru hike in shoulder/summer use I'd leave them at home. They are a better solution for more extreme conditions.

Ok I ordered a pari of REI rain mitts to try - thank you all for chiming in, you gave me a lot to mull over! I'll try to remember to report back on how I find them to work for me.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

I see I'm too late. I hope the REI ones work for you.

For more than a decade, I've been using Mountain Laurel Designs Event Rain Mitts. I'm on my second pair. Weight about 1 oz, but provide plenty of warmth. I used them for my PCT thru-hike as my only gloves and they were plenty warm in the below freezing mornings and the off and on snow I had at the Canadian Border. I've had plenty of use in the Rain when it's cold and they really do keep your hands warm, though not necessarily completely dry. Anything breathable doesn't like pressure exerted on them, or you get some water penetration, which using trekking poles does cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I see I'm too late. I hope the REI ones work for you.
    For more than a decade, I've been using Mountain Laurel Designs Event Rain Mitts. I'm on my second pair. Weight about 1 oz, but provide plenty of warmth. . . .
    Not at all - thank you for the tip. I can always return my REI ones if I don't like them and so hearing more options is always appreciated! Thanks again.

Ive had good results with possum wool gloves. Supposedly like regular wool they will retain warmth when wet. I recently bought a pair of Smartwool wind mitten on clearance at REI. It is a lightweight glove with a flap that covers your fingertips like a mitten. It kind of feels like it might slightly shed water too? It is a really slick silky feeling material. I have yet to use them though.

People focus on the wrong goal for most rain gear and it is the same for gloves/mitts. If you place your sole focus on staying dry, you will naturally gravitate towards waterproof or waterproof breathable fabrics. Don't get me wrong, staying dry is nice but it isn't achievable in many backpacking situations. I've shifted my focus over the years to having different solutions for differing situations and carry weight isn't as much of an issue with gloves. I can carry an extra set and swap in camp or have different versions uphill vs. downhill, rain vs. cold and dry etc..etc...

Instead of thinking in terms of one glove that tries to do everything, I carry a couple different versions that work best based upon the circumstances. The weight penalty is negligible compared to the additional comfort.

Given your time frame you won’t need gloves much. If it gets cold in the fall, Yama mtn gear makes great pogies, which work with poles. I use the nylon down to about 40, insulated take you down to the 20s. You can get your fingers out easily for tasks and at camp.

I always carry a cheap pair of leather gloves when I'm in the woods, just for hand protection. I buy the cheapest non-suede work gloves at the store (usually pigskin), and treat them with jojoba oil to help with softness and waterproofness. During cold weather, my favorite gloves are the Kinco Alyeksa wool blend gloves, and the Kinco leather chopper mitts, which I treat with beeswax. The gloves go right inside the chopper mitts.

I can agree with two posters here---bring two pair of gloves---and use MLDesigns mitten shells.
    TRIP 169 044-XL.jpg
    And you don't need to spend $30 on fancy liner gloves like North Face on right---when cheap walmart fleece gloves work better and last longer (on left).

Trip 162 085-XL.jpg
    Every winter walmart comes out with different cheap fleece gloves---here's a $5 pair which I like.

TRIP 106 124-L.jpg
    It's hard to keep hands dry when backpacking in bad weather---ergo the Two Pair rule.

Trip 161 350.jpg
    Getting some MLD eVent mitt shells are great for keeping my fleece gloves dry---at least for a couple hours. Water runs down the rain jacket sleeves into the shells so they need to be tucked into the velcro sleeve etc. Eventually even with these shells your hands and gloves will get wet.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

REI has some waterproof cycling gloves that really look like they'll be just right: Showers Pass Crosspoint Waterproof gloves. I tried them on in the store and added them to my xmas list.

I sometimes just dip my hands in that liquid plastic tool handle stuff…I use the yellow color so I don’t lose them.

Ugh my hands were cold yesterday and I wish I remembered to wear my extra pair of socks under my REI rain mitts! Mental note made going forward! Thanks to all that continue to contribute to this thread!

I've not yet come into a full-day downpour hike, but am a great fan of a poncho as my main protection. This covers the pack, as well as gives freedom for the hands to keep them warm and dry, even to put them in the pants pockets.

++ New Posts ++