WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Blue Blazes

Default Blue Blazes

What are some of your favorite blue blazes/side trails along the AT? I’m a section hiker and willing to take some blue blazes to worthwhile spots.

Here’s a couple I would recommend:
    • Pickens Nose in southern NC.
    • Shuckstack Fire Tower in the Smokies
    • Grassy Bald in the Roan Highlands

I skipped Mt. Cammerer in the Smokies and regret it..but I plan on being a 900-miler so I’ll be back. So, what are some of y’all’s favorites?

Hands down the best, the Knife Edge and the Helon Taylor trail down off of Kathadin (on a non windy day).
    The Bonds in the Whites (Bond, West Bond and Bondcliff) out and back from Guyot in the whites.
    Mt Abraham in Maine (out and back from Spaulding Mountain) in Maine

Images

Shelburne Pass Trail in VT - much nicer than the official AT route.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mt Cammerer Fire Lookout, Smokies
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Interesting thread! None of my suggestions compare at all to the amazing Bonds in the NH Whites (which you as a section hiker could do as part of a well loved Pemi loop) or some of the others mentioned but I can contribute with a few suggestions from New Jersey.

I would say one of my favorite trails in NJ is the yellow blazed, Ernest Walter trail in Abram Hewitt State Forest near the NY/NJ border. If you combine it with a part of the blue blazed State Line trail you can create a loop with the AT. The trail goes by a couple of glacier formed lakes and scrambles up to a nice view.

Again just talking about NJ, the side trail up to the High Point Monument (technically I think its called the Monument trail and the Shawangunk Ridge trail) is worth it in my opinion.

And finally just for completeness sake I'll mention the 1.4 mile trail down to Buttermilk Falls. The waterfall while nice and one of the tallest waterfalls in NJ is probably too far to recommend as an out and back off the AT but I did it once as part of a big loop one winter and it was very enjoyable. I started on the Blue Mountain Lake trail, then Hemlock Pond Trail, then over to Buttermilk Falls, up to the AT and then used the AT to get back to Blue Mountain Lake road to close the loop.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Roan Rodo Gardens/Roan High Bluff around the Mid June time
    Elk River Falls
    Coon Den Falls near Dennis Cove
    Shelton Laurel graves (I think its a side trail now)
    Rocky Fork State Park
    Rich Mtn Firetower
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Gulf Hagas loop in Maine has some nice waterfalls.

I hear there are Bear issues, but sitting in Overmountain Shelter on a clear night watching the lights of NYC on the horizon is pretty surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    I hear there are Bear issues, but sitting in Overmountain Shelter on a clear night watching the lights of NYC on the horizon is pretty surreal.
    I think you are referring to West Mountain shelter if I'm not mistaken. Yes agreed another good blue blaze. With the recent AT reroute to avoid a dangerous road crossing I believe it could be an even longer blue blaze. Also if we are referring to the same shelter, I recall it having a fireplace as well - I tented nearby and the views of the NYC skyline were pretty nice.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Jones Falls, Angels Rest, Kelly Knob[VA], Standing Indian Mtn, Rich Mtn Tower, Mt Cammerer, Chimney Rock to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    I think you are referring to West Mountain shelter if I'm not mistaken. Yes agreed another good blue blaze. With the recent AT reroute to avoid a dangerous road crossing I believe it could be an even longer blue blaze. Also if we are referring to the same shelter, I recall it having a fireplace as well - I tented nearby and the views of the NYC skyline were pretty nice.

Yes, thanks for the correction

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Shelburne Pass Trail in VT - much nicer than the official AT route.
    Yes and this used to be the A.T route until they rerouted it
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Is the section that goes through the Zoo in NYC a White or Blue blaze?

In the late nineties, it was the official route when the zoo was open and then there was an official bypass when the zoo was closed.

++ New Posts ++