WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default From Newark To DWG

Looking to pick up where we left off. My son and I have so far been from Springer to Delaware Water Gap in three sections. It is time to continue North. We took a bus,subway,train to Newark after the last section. Now I need to get back to DWG. Is Newark the best airport? Is a shuttle better than the train bus combo? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

If I was coming from Iowa that's what I think I would do, fly to Newark airport (EWR) and then bus out to Delaware Water Gap. I never had the occasion to figure out exactly where those busses go but I've read many times on whiteblaze that there are buses between DWG toward NYC, and I would guess they might also stop in Newark. Even if the busses only leave from NY Port Authority instead of Newark, I still would likely fly into Newark. New Jersey's Newark airport allows you to use mass transit (NJ Transit or Amtrak) to get into the west side of Manhattan even more easily than the New York airports of LGA or JFK. There is also a transit line from Newark airport to the Newark train station which I believe also has a bus terminal there too. Be careful as Newark, NJ's transit center is called Penn Station and New York, NY also has a Penn Station and those two things can sound similar when ordering tickets or listening for your stop. Hope this helps!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Post NYC Airport to DWG

I've flown out of Newark, JFK, and LaGuardia. Newark is the ONLY airport you can easily get to or away from via mass transit. LaGuardia requires the use of a city bus; JFK does have AirTrain connection to the NYC Metro, but it's a long ride to Manhattan. Newark's AirTrain connects to NJTransit, with which you can quickly go direct to NYC's Penn Station.
    https://www.newarkairport.com/static...sportation.jpg

So, after you land at Newark / EWR / Liberty Airport
    1) AirTran to Newark Airport Rail Station
    2) NJTransit Commuter Rail to NYC's Penn Station
    3) Walk to or take one subway stop (Line A,C,E North; 34th Street to 42nd Street) to Port Authority Bus Terminal
    4) Martz Bus from Bus Terminal to Delaware Water Gap / Stroudsburg
    https://martzbus.com/wp-content/uplo...mer-Notice.pdf

A shuttle would be faster & more convenient, but I guess the cost would be a bit more.

Thank you!

Journal Entries
    Images

I just did a section from VT to Dwg in Oct/Nov and took the Martz to Newark, worked well! The bus station is less than a mile from the trail. If you have time, i highly suggest walking a little bit out of town to enjoy a great meal and a bit of history at the Minisink Hotel (not a hotel any longer) as well as listening to a set of music at the Deer Head Inn (an actual hotel) which is the oldest continuously operating Jazz Club in the USA and sits right on the trail next to the Church of the Mountain Hostel.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Unless Martz changed their system, there was no WIFI unless buses where at the terminal at DWG. This may have changed since 2019.

Images

If your airline of choice has access to ABE (Allentown Bethlehem Easton) perhaps you can get a shuttler to drive you to DWG - not very far away.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I just did the reverse trip due to shin splints when I had to leave the trail. There is a bus N from Newark airport to commuter train line. They run about every hour. The train runs to Rockaway and some other potentially closer stops. I took a shuttle from DWG to Rockaway. I used Misty: 908-797-0953 or Rich 908-752-8979. With advance notice will pick you up at airport and transport directly.

Thanks to all,booked tickets on Martz,will take the bus from Port Authority in NYC to Delaware Water Gap. Pretty sure we can figure out the train from the airport to NYC,if not will get an uber or cab. The adventure continues...my son and I started from Springer in 2016,made it to Harper's Ferry,went back in 2018 and went to Delaware Water Gap. Then along came covid,jobs,weddings,etc and now it is time to go north. Aiming for Rutland,and next year,Maine. As always,Whiteblaze has helped.

Great. Report back how it goes if you remember - good luck!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

++ New Posts ++