Default 500 mile PCT section hike advice? Travel + any other thoughts

Hi there!

It's been a long time since I posted here. I originally came here in 2017 in advance of my (successful!) 2018 AT thru hike. Since then I've also hiked the Colorado Trail (in 2022), spent a summer in Littleton, NH hiking all over the whites (2023), as well as many other random trips. A lot of what I've learned/put into practice started here.

I just booked flights for a PCT section hike. I'm planning to fly into Bakersfield, take the bus to Walker Pass, and then start hiking north (on July 28 – I have a permit). I then have a return flight on August 23 from Reno airport, which I'm loosely planning to access from the Donner Lake/Truckee area. That'd be roughly 500 miles in 25 days (for a benchmark, the AT took me 3.5 months, and the CT 20 days).

Any thoughts to contribute on travel plans, this section during this time window (temperature, snow levels this year, river crossings, etc.), resupplies, or anything else? I can throw up a gear list at some point.

Cheers and nice to be back.

Nathan

I hiked from the Mexican border to the Muir Trail Ranch/Florence Lake area from mid April 2015 to late May and it was a low snow year, although complicated by a late season snow storm soon after I entered the Sierra Nevada. I would expect the section from Walker Pass to Kennedy Meadows to be very hot in July so plan on carrying a lot of water. When I hiked, there was plenty of water from Kennedy Meadows to the PCT/JMT junction, after which point water is not a problem. However, I have read that water can be an issue for the 50 miles north of Kennedy Meadows in a typical summer. But this year is so wet that water may be relatively available on that section. Once you get to the area where the PCT and JMT overlap, water is abundant. I have thru hiked the JMT, but have not done much hiking north of Tioga Road so cannot comment on the section between there and the Lake Tahoe area. Other than water, I'd expect mosquitoes to be somewhat more of an issue in the Sierra in late July to late August this year due to the snow melt. Normally, mosquitos are not an issue after mid August.

South of Kennedy Meadows:
    The ~50miles from Walker Pass to the store at Kennedy Meadow will be hot, but not very difficult (at least compared to what comes after). Though there will likely be water not normally available in drier years, be aware that longer water carries are still required, compared to the AT, as there aren't a lot of reliable sources in that stretch. Consider getting up while its still dark, stopping during the heat of the day, and hiking into the evening to manage the heat. I've only hiked through there in late June and in November, so I can only guess how much worse it will be in the middle of summer.

Sierra Nevada
    Given just how much snow fell this winter and spring, I'd expect there still to be snow on the high passes even in late July. So expect some snow travel over them where the trail will likely not be visible in places. You may find it easier to just climb straight up as you get near the top instead of trying to follow a buried switchback. To make it easier on yourself, have a GPS app with a track that you can follow when the trail isn't visible. There will be plenty of footprints though you can follow, just make sure you don't follow a set of someone who got lost.

Water Fords will still be high compared to most years, but manageable for most. Note, the water will be painfully cold. If you time them for the morning, they will be lower as later in the day, the continue snow meltoff will raise them.

For someone who isn't use to high altitude, even when the trail in the High Sierra is completely clear, it can be strenuous due to the elevation gain combined with not being acclimated to the high altitude. With snow travel, it just gets more strenuous. Given where you live, you won't get a chance to acclimate at home, but I would try to do some long hikes in the weeks prior in whatever elevation you can get to.

Mosquitos will likely be still bad down in the valleys between the passes due to how long it took the snow to clear out. Typically northern Yosemite is the worst location for mosquitos in the late spring and I think it will be even worse, where you are followed by a cloud of them and if you stop for even a moment they will get on any exposed skin. Covering completely up with permithrin treated clothing is your better bet over DEET (which is still needed) and bring a headnet for when you are taking a break. Hiking in rain gear is not recomended as you'll just be hot and sweating and not happy. Seen it too many times over the years. Bring treated clothing with long pants and sleeves (you can always roll them up).

Temperatures during the day should be moderate, but be aware I've been snowed on in every month possible in the Sierra Nevada. When a thunderstorm rolls in, the day's temperature can rapidly drop into the 40's, possibly worse if it starts hailing or snowing. Night times are normally above freezing, but it can still drop below in the right weather.

Resupply locations will be opening much later this year than normal. I'd expect VVR to be open by June. But the stores at Red's Meadow and Tuolumne Meadows will only open if the roads to them have been open for awhile, as it takes time to setup and start operations. Worse case for Reds is if the road is closed, you hike in to Mammoth Lakes. Everything likely will be open by late July (but maybe the small stores will not be fully stocked). You'll need to check online to see if they have a projected opening date a few weeks before you leave if you are mailing boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan428 View Post
    Hi there!

I've also hiked the Colorado Trail (in 2022), spent a summer in Littleton, NH hiking all over the whites (2023)

Nathan
    Not that this is crucial but CT in '21 and Littleton in '22.

Coffee and Miner thank you both for your thoughtful responses.

Morning/night hiking for the first 50 miles makes perfect sense (as does the need for longer water carries).

Expecting snow also makes sense. And mosquitos. I'm happy to hear, Miner, that you think the water crossings will be manageable for most (this is probably my chief concern, starting out solo – but hoping to link up with other hikers). On altitude, I'm lucky that, at least from the CT, I was unaffected. But of course that could be different this year.

Again, appreciate your thoughts - they're helpful!

++ New Posts ++