WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default cannister fuel in Bennington VT

Does anyone know of a location to buy canister fuel in downtown Bennington, close to the post office or bus station? There is a WalMart, but it is somewhat farther out. I haven't seen any mention of an outfitter or hardware store.

I just looked on Google maps, doesn’t look like anything in town.

There is a Walmart in town that probably Carries fuel. However, the best bet is the next town North on the Trail - Manchester, Vt. There is an Outfitter in the middle of the town called The Mountain Goat.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries

With the answers here it seems like it's time to call around, I'd suggest the outfitters you can get to and places most hikers stay.

The two more "hardware" stores seemed to have both closed up (which is unfortunate, as both were along VT 9).

The only things besides Walmart (which even if that is accessible, I would check with them as that store was expanded from it's original 55,000 Sq. Ft size as they had to take over an existing 5/10 space to get into the area - but it is still more the size of an original Walmart than a Supercenter, thus they may not have everything) are Tractor Supply and Home Depot.

Not sure if either carries this type of fuel - Tractor Supply is closer to downtown (on 7), Home Depot (on 67a) is even further than Walmart (on 7a).

In general, the majority of Bennington retail is along 7/7a/67a and north of downtown, while the trail is along Route 9 and east of town (7 & 9 cross in what would be the "middle" of downtown).

Downtown streets are mostly small shops, restaurants and similar. Not sure exactly where the bus station is located, or the post office either (just not things I ever had need for when there, which I used to be fairly often but haven't been much lately).

Images

I stayed at the Catamount Motel in Bennington last fall and the owners had fuel canisters to sell to hikers.

Related (apologies for the thread drift): Does anyone know if there's any place that sells fuel canisters in Rutland, VT within a mile or so of the bus station downtown?

I'm planning on flying into Rutland, then taking the bus to the Long Trail Inn to start my section hike this fall.

Thanks all. I am flying into Albany and then starting my section hike from Route 9 outside Bennington. It sounds like my best option is to find fuel in Albany before I head to Bennington.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Horned Frog View Post
    Thanks all. I am flying into Albany and then starting my section hike from Route 9 outside Bennington. It sounds like my best option is to find fuel in Albany before I head to Bennington.

Thanks again.
    Just at the other end of Wolf Road from the airport is Colonie Center (mall) which has LL Bean. Or at Fuller & Western is an EMS. Either is easily accessible from the Northway (I-87), which can be entered from the road that leads out of the airport (Albany Shaker Road). Unfortunately the Dick's in Latham is closed for renovation (as that might be even easier to hit if the transportation is taking you via Route 7), though there is a Super Walmart in Latham that might work (at NY2/US9).

Wolf Road also has a supermarket (Hannaford) if you need food items as well (as those are also just as far off the route in Bennington as the Walmart is) going that way.

if you have a shuttle driver, you could ask them. i try to keep fuel cans available for folks traveling by air.

I'm going to put a vote in to see if any businesses in the downtown can carry or supply fuel (tricky due to shipping canisters). Good to read through this and glean ways we can improve the Bennington A.T. Community!
    I agree with the past posts- if you fly into Albany getting fuel at the L.L.Bean is good, but also a Walmart on the way out of Troy that you have to go by anyway if you take Route 7, though L.L. Bean would be the sure bet.

There is a bus in Bennington that goes right to Walmart and the other grocery stores. Red line is M-F (free). The green lines run Saturday (free). No service on Sunday. https://greenmountainexpress.com/routes-2/
    We miss our downtown hardware store. Corporate American basically killed that, but now we have at our downtown 4 corners a new, redevelopment happening, so check out the shops (coffee, art supply, bookstore, etc).

Fuel canisters in downtown Rutland- Walmart may have them. It's a smaller Walmart. Otherwise, I would recommend Base Camp which is at the Junction of VT 4 and 100. https://basecampvt.com/

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Time changes many things, but WalMart in Rutland had medium fuel cannisters in autumn of 2021. An easy walk from bus station.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Journal Entries
    Images

Post How to search for stuff at a specific Walmart

WalMart in Rutland had medium fuel cannisters in autumn of 2021
    You can actually check online, the availability of just about any item at any Walmart in the USA.
    1. Do an internet search for
    walmart city of interest
    2. Select the first link
    3. Select the [Make this my store] Button
    At the top you'll see a search area labelled, "Search everything at Walmart online and in store"
    4. In the search area, type out what you're looking for
    In this case, "fuel canisters"
    The search area might help by suggesting something more specific, like "butane fuel canisters"
    5. Click on the search item that best matches what you're looking for.
    6. If necessary, click on the [Search] Button, to the right of the item you're looking for.
    Lots of items will usually appear.
    7. Find the item that you're hoping to buy, and check to see if it's labelled as "In stock." If it is available in the store, they'll tell the exact aisle to find it.

Here's what I found just this minute at the Rutland store:
    https://www.walmart.com/search?q=col...+fuel+canister

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grnmtngirl View Post
    Fuel canisters in downtown Rutland- Walmart may have them. It's a smaller Walmart. Otherwise, I would recommend Base Camp which is at the Junction of VT 4 and 100. https://basecampvt.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkmeister View Post
    Time changes many things, but WalMart in Rutland had medium fuel cannisters in autumn of 2021. An easy walk from bus station.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    You can actually check online, the availability of just about any item at any Walmart in the USA. Here's what I found just this minute at the Rutland store:https://www.walmart.com/search?q=col...+fuel+canister
    Thanks everyone! Seems like Walmart should have fuel canisters, and if not the Base Camp store is only a few miles down the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Pete, the owner of the Catamount Motel is the Man for ALL your hiker needs, if you get stuck and need anything, just ask. Straight up Good Dude!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I haven't been over to Bennington since before the pandemic, and now I have no car, so I can only reiterate the WalMart in Bennington and The Mountain Goat in Manchester Center. And when you get to Killington, there's a well-stocked outdoors retailer right off the trail, called Base Camp.

Sam's Outfitters is in Brattleboro, if you happen to find yourself taking a side trip in that direction, but it's about 40 miles from Bennington. Well, if you do get to Brattleboro, there's a WalMart just 4 miles into New Hampshire, too.

Sam's does stock the tiny canisters, though. I don't think WalMart does. Mountain Goat and Base Camp should have them.

++ New Posts ++