WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I did Moxie Pond to Flagstaff Lake last year. It was very noticeable that all the trail signs had been recently replaced and almost all of the puncheon was being allowed to rot and fall apart. One stream crossing a couple of miles south of the Kennebec had a bridge consisting of large log, rounded and extremely slippery to walk on, with two other equally rounded and slippery logs on either side at arm level. It was a bit treacherous. There also was a re-route at Pierce Pond downstream from stepping stones to a thigh deep ford. It's a very different mentality of what a hiking experience should be in Maine than on the rest of the trail. It seems like they want it to be as difficult as possible and don't much care about hiker safety or erosion control. JMHO. My preference on the bridge question would be for the MATC to have an LMP in line with elsewhere on the trail.

Journal Entries

Part of the reason for bridges is not to make hiker's life easier but to protect the stream. Without bridges hikers will sometimes use inventive and environmentally destructive ways to cross. When that becomes a problem we really need to do something like a bridge. IDK if the HMW is really stresses at those crossings, and it would be nice to keep the crossings as is IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Part of the reason for bridges is not to make hiker's life easier but to protect the stream. Without bridges hikers will sometimes use inventive and environmentally destructive ways to cross. When that becomes a problem we really need to do something like a bridge. IDK if the HMW is really stresses at those crossings, and it would be nice to keep the crossings as is IMHO.
    What are some examples of environmentally destructive ways?

I did post against bridges but I was talking about the long fords in ME, I thought we were talking about them particularly. I'm not against bridges where they are pretty much needed and convenient to put and not an eye sore. Bridges across most of the fords in ME would be way too big a project and really aren't needed. The rope for assistance is about as good as your gonna get there.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    What are some examples of environmentally destructive ways?
    Many years ago I was pulling a backpacking trip in Upper Bald River wilderness and hiking Brookshire Creek trail. It crosses Bald River as shown---

After a heavy rainstorm some idiots coulnd'nt easily cross so they cut down a big living pine tree and strung up some rope to use as a footbridge. Real miscreants. All just to get their precious butts across the creek. So much for LNT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Many years ago I was pulling a backpacking trip in Upper Bald River wilderness and hiking Brookshire Creek trail. It crosses Bald River as shown---

After a heavy rainstorm some idiots coulnd'nt easily cross so they cut down a big living pine tree and strung up some rope to use as a footbridge. Real miscreants. All just to get their precious butts across the creek. So much for LNT.

I wouldn’t think the majority of hikers would have the tools with them capable of cutting down such a large tree.

Doesn't take a majority. Just a couple of "miscreants" on a buddy trip will do it....
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++