WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MTS trail Rt 181 to Mt Mitchell

I am looking for advice about parking at Rt 181 TH and Mt Mitchell TH. Its a roughly 60 mile one way hike on MTS trail (mostly segment 4). Also does anyone have knowledge or advice about the ford across Linville River? I hear in April with high water it may not be crossable.
    Any help appreciated!
    thanks
    Old Oriskany

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I am in the area and have hiked most of the length. And actually just did the Mitchell summit loop.

USGS water gauge for Nebo -
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?s...38500&legacy=1

The Gorge Rats recommendations -
    https://www.lgmaps.org/?page_id=3483

Advisable not to cross when discharge is above 200. You can take the MST Connector blue blaze near at Shortoff-Wolf Pit thru the gamelands to the highway/FontaFlora greenway cross the bridge and walk the gated FSR inside the Fonta Flora community. You will be crossing PP, so no camping or stopping until the MST.

NC 181 has some decent shoulder parking. The MST route on the FSR the gate just opened. There are some other backcountry parking along the road before going down Steele Creek.
    Depending on which Mt Mitchell trailhead - Summit parking lot or NC 128 outside the park.
    The Summit has plenty of parking. You will have to register your car for any overnight hikes if parking inside the SP.
    The NC128 TH parking is limited but there are some other road shoulder turnouts before the SP. I would still contact the Parkway dispatch center and SP office if parking here.

Depending on your schedule be aware of the Gorge's camping permits.
    Hit the mountianstoseatrail site for the trail guides and CMCs guidebook for the Section 3 leg.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Good luck on the climb up Betsys Ridge. Camel up at Toms Creek.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 04-06-2023 at 17:05.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

thanks for your advice back in April. We did the trip and it was all that we had hoped for.

Next Sunday, i want to go back to Mitchell and continue west on the MST for about 110 miles to Balsam Gap. I sent a couple of shuttle requests from B Gsp to MM for which i am awaiting response.

Looking at the terrain, i wonder if i should forego the 25 miles or so of 'flatlands' near Ashville but that would be a gap in the mountain section of my MST plans.. What do you recommend?

Also is there parking at Balsam Gap?

-Old Oriskany

To shuttle you from Balsam Gap to Mt Mitchell, my standard rate would be $147.
    Additional passenger would add $18

Yes, there are parking spots at the ranger/maintenance station at Balsam Gap.
    You may private message me here if you need a lift.

Oh and doing the whole shuttle on the Parkway would be another $15. About 50 minutes and 15 miles longer ride.

thanks for the info-i just finished a seg 1,2 and 15 mi into 3 trek, ending the 126 miles at walnut cove lot on the brp. incredible scenery and great trail conditions all the way (except for the 10+ miles from hell along the brp and roads to the mile high CG). btw i wonder when brp upped their speed limit for motorcycles and fast cars to 70? All sarcasm aside, it was a spectacular trek and highly under used by my observations. my constant thoughts included "where the heck is everybody?"

Journal Entries

We did the Linville Gorge loop September of last year. The route included a portion of the MTS trail. The Linville Gorge is rough, but beautiful. Thanks for posting and bringing up memories!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I am working on Segment 3 right now. I am up to Bent Creek Gap west of Asheville. East ways I just need to go Craggy Garden entrance to Rattlesnake Lodge, Graybead to Glassmine overlooks, Buncomble Horse trail section to Black Mtn campground (already did the summit). Only have Woods Mtn in Section 4. And pieces on Section 5.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++