WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Stinging nettle

Default Stinging nettle

Just tried this yesterday,taking a bouquet of stinging nettle and rubbing it into my arthritic,inflamed elbow.15 minutes later, no pain,no kidding.next day,still no pain.
    Sure beats aleeve or ibu.
    Figured I'd throw it out 🌿

Thanks for the info. Did it not hurt quite a bit for a while?

Crushed jewelweed, which likes the same habitats, is good for relieving the sting. Would it then reduce the effectiveness?

Jewelweed
    In the mtns is also used as a remedy for poison ivy. Crush and rub.

The times I have walked through stinging nettle it was more of an annoyance rather than a painful event.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The times I have walked through stinging nettle it was more of an annoyance rather than a painful event.
    I find it annoying as well but if I ignore it it is gone in about 15 minutes.

No doubt, it's the plant from which the adjective "nettlesome" derives... something that is mildly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I find it annoying as well but if I ignore it it is gone in about 15 minutes.

No doubt, it's the plant from which the adjective "nettlesome" derives... something that is mildly annoying.
    Annoying to touch, but great foraging the spring leaves for soup, tea and pesto.

The sting goes away after a bit,so no big deal,the disapearance of arthritic pain was wonderful. Tea is great and I'm going on a major foraging hike here in a bit,load up ,dry it out and grind it down.
    I'll look up jewelweed.thanks

Good to know.Thanks!

I had never heard of them growing in Maine but one day I was doing corridor boundary maintenance on the AT in Maine between Hall and Moody mountain in a pair of shorts and discovered a large patch of them after I strolled through them.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Annoying to touch, but great foraging the spring leaves for soup, tea and pesto.
    I've heard about the tea but never tried it. Never knew about the soup or the pesto... sounds very interesting. My wife loves pesto and makes a good one.

++ New Posts ++