WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpacking the Loyalsock Trail

This past October I thruhiked the Loyalsock Trail (PA). I think it is one of the most diverse trails in the region with many waterfalls, gorges, views, big rocks and some excellent campsites. It is also a challenging trail with many climbs and descents, some are steep. The LT is also one of the older backpacking trails in the country. I put together a condensed online thruhiking guide for those who might want to hike this trail.

Backpacking the Loyalsock Trail | Endless Mountains Experience (wordpress.com)

Thank You neighbor!

Read your link - thank you for sharing! If you've hiked these other PA hikes, in your opinion, how does the Loyalsock (59 mile linear) compare to the Black Forest Trail (43 mile loop) or the STS (85 mile loop) or the Donut Hole (90 mile loop) or Chuck Kieper (55 mile double loop)? Do you have a favorite or least favorite out of these? I ask because I've done the Black Forest Trail as a 3 day/2night trip but I'm interested in doing another backpacking trip in the PA wilds! : )
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Thanks for this info. I have been wanting to hike this tail for quite some time and this info is valuable.

Somers515, the Loyalsock is definitely one of the better trails of that list. BFT has more views, the Loyalsock has more falls, streams, cascades. STS is great, has shelters and isolation, but few views and no waterfalls. It does have lots of creeks and good camping. DHT is actually a linear trail and closer to 100 miles. A tough trail, some great views, cascades, gorges, not as established as other trails but it is followable. CKT is a tough trail, but has had some maintenance issues in places. It has gorges, a few falls, meadows, beautiful creeks. Overall I think the Loyalsock has more scenery and diversity then these other trails, but i do like the other trails you mentioned. You should also check out the Allegheny Front Trail and the Quehanna Wild Area trails.

Four days seems a nice pace. What was yours? Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    Somers515, the Loyalsock is definitely one of the better trails of that list. . . .
    Thank you for the reply, very helpful as I mull over where to backpack next!

Well done jmitchell; it's not a very high bar but your link is easily one of the most valuable and useful posts I've ever seen on WB.
    I backpacked the LT with a group of 8 adults/kids last year and we were NOT disappointed. It was fantastic. There is a piice of private property VERY close to the LT along the river with cabins and I can tell you that the owner does NOT like hikers passing thru there. He didn't threaten us or anything and wasn't aggressive but he made his point. I talked to him for a little, he was a Marine radioman Vietnam. Perhaps a legit reason to be a little grumpy.

Chknfngrs, 4 days is a good pace.

++ New Posts ++