WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Writing a book, want to help?

I'm 30,000 words into a book "Appalachian Trailblazers: Fifty Legends of America's Iconic Footpath."

I want to solicit input from White Blaze members to 1. Make sure my list is an accurate reflection 2. Make sure I don't miss someone who should be on the list, and 3. avoid relying too much on newspaper and magazine articles in fleshing out the short biographs. The content I have so far hits all the bases except perhaps "third base" which would be a vignette from someone who knew them. They aren't all thru-hikers, the list includes well known trail angels, shuttle drivers, obviously some of the planners and maintainers, too. Several of them are dead, so I don't expect slice-of-life stories on them, I already have them well covered.

Here's the list:

Benton McKaye
    J. Frank Schairer
    Myron Avery
    Walt Underwood
    Mary Kilpatrick
    Earl Shaffer
    Gene Espy
    Emma Gatewood
    Bob Peoples
    Ed Garvey
    Warren Doyle
    Ron Strickland
    Mary Goldthwaite
    George Woodard - Billy Goat
    Bill Bryson
    Miss Janet
    Pat Hastings - Miss Daisy
    Bill Irwin
    David Horton
    Ron Brown
    Baltimore Jack - Baltimore Jack
    Walter Wehner - Tipi
    Jeff Alt
    Sunny and Bear
    John Mackey - Strider
    David Miller - AWOL
    Anna Huthmaker - Trail Dame
    Scott Smiles
    Lee Barry - Easy One
    Shug Emery - Shug
    Andrew Skurka
    Kristin Blacklock
    Michael Vermeulen
    Paul Stutzman
    Jennifer Pharr Davis
    Zach Davis
    Reed Gjonnes - Sunshiine
    Ryan Linn - Guthook
    Neva Warren - Chipmunk
    Christian Thomas - Buddy Backpacker
    Scott Jureck
    Heather Anderson
    Stacey Kozel
    Jessica Mills - Dixie
    Karl Meltzer
    Will Robinson
    Dale Sanders - Gray Beard
    The Holford Family
    M. J. Eberhart - Nimblewill Nomad
    Jeff Sylvester - Sly

To keep from trashing the threads, you can go here to participate. Thanks!

Jim

i know/knew 18 of them

Journal Entries
    Images

That's impressive. Did you click my link to participate in the forum? I'd love your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    That's impressive. Did you click my link to participate in the forum? I'd love your input.
    yes. nothing happens

Journal Entries
    Images

It worked. I see that you got in. Thanks.

Jim

Where is Ward Leonard?
    One of the most interesting characters I've read about the AT, and used to hold all the records
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Where is Ward Leonard?
    One of the most interesting characters I've read about the AT, and used to hold all the records
    still in Ct. i believe. i met him in 1989 and saw him many times over the next 12 years or so

Images

Seen Ward Leonard on a sunny day in November of 2014 we were at High Rock in Maryland he was headed north and me south....from what i understood he was doing Connecticut to Harpers and then back to Connecticuti
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    still in Ct. i believe. i met him in 1989 and saw him many times over the next 12 years or so
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

Images

Glad to see that you have Baltimore Jack on the list. I hiked with him a lot in the late 1990s when he was doing his first three trips. It's absolutely scandalous that he's not in the A.T. Hall of Fame. In my opinion, he was one of the top ten American outdoorsmen of all time when he was younger.

Of course, his chapter of the book will be easy for you...possibly the easiest of all, since there's so much lore about him and so many hikers knew him. He was just about omnipresent on the trail when he was at his peak.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Images

Looked at the list again and noticed you have it divided into two columns with the hiker's real name on the left and their trail name on the right.

Baltimore Jack's real name was Leonard Adam Tarlin. He was not actually from Baltimore, but rather from Boston. The Baltimore reference is to Bruce Springsteen's song ​Hungry Heart.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Where is Ward Leonard?
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into him.

Jim

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    Glad to see that you have Baltimore Jack on the list. I hiked with him a lot in the late 1990s when he was doing his first three trips. It's absolutely scandalous that he's not in the A.T. Hall of Fame. In my opinion, he was one of the top ten American outdoorsmen of all time when he was younger.

Of course, his chapter of the book will be easy for you...possibly the easiest of all, since there's so much lore about him and so many hikers knew him. He was just about omnipresent on the trail when he was at his peak.
    Sometimes what appears to be easy can end up being difficult. Adam was considered by many to be an irresponsible character who abandoned his family and wasted his considerable talents by not holding down a desk and living the 9 to 5 standard. Others who associate him with the trail and everything it means to those who love it strike closer to the truth. My opinion. I never met him. In his own words, and in those of his ex-wife's... he didn't abandon them. I get the impression that she truly understood him. As for the ten "lost years" between their break-up and his appearance at Springer Mountain in '98, there is a small corpus of works emerging. It isn't anything overly dramatic, and probably won't hold up much space in the book. The crux or it, as many on here probably know, was that he worked at a video store for awhile and after getting kicked out of his apartment, vowed that he'd never pay rent again. So it seems that he lived a quiet life similar to many today who work in the service industry. Voracious reader and library visitor? Deep love for good stories, whether in print or film? Nearly encyclopedic knowledge of such things? Opinionated as hell but with a charm that still drew people to him? I'm focusing more on how he most certainly wanted to be remembered: As a main character in the trail's story. He certainly was that.

Was he any corporate entity's hero, even a non-profit one? Probably not. But damn, look at the posts on here and listen to the stories from people who ran into him once or called him a good friend. Was it a shame that he wouldn't take care of his health after his knees gave out? Yeah. Tragic really, but he lived the life he wanted to live, and it was all about the AT.

Jim

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    Looked at the list again and noticed you have it divided into two columns with the hiker's real name on the left and their trail name on the right.

Baltimore Jack's real name was Leonard Adam Tarlin. He was not actually from Baltimore, but rather from Boston. The Baltimore reference is to Bruce Springsteen's song ​Hungry Heart.
    Absolutely correct. He went by L.A. for awhile before he hit the trail, too.

Jim

consider an additional two thru-hikers/authors. JR Tate (Model-T) and Bill Erwin.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Lori Potteiger, who worked for the ATC for so many years and seemed to be the face or the organization
    David Brill, 1979 thru hiker (plus another thru) and author of "As Far as the Eye Can See," possibly the finest book written about the AT.

Speed record holders

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

How did Stacey Kozel make your list of legends? Have you thoroughly researched her claims?

I would also consider adding:

Lone Wolf
    Dorothy Hansen - Through hiked, then ran Neels Gap tore for years.
    Cindy Ross and Tod Gladfelter
    Mic Lowther - author of one of my favorites "Walking North"
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Larry Luxemberg
    Neville Harris
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    How did Stacey Kozel make your list of legends? Have you thoroughly researched her claims?
    CB: Multiple sources. Haven't begun deep research into Stacey. What's the downlow?

Jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++