WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Health Insurance while through hiking the AT

I have searched for a clear answer to this question, and have had no luck - If I have missed a post, please point me in the right direction -

What do most adults do for health insurance while hiking a long distance trail for six months? I am closing in on 50 years old and plan on a through hike on the AT. I will have my health insurance covered. My wife is also interested in a through of the PCT in a few years - her only fear is how to afford health insurance while hiking. I have searched for some policies, but most I have found is for "extreme travelers" - primarily for lost luggage and cancelled flights. We just need a decent policy for health related items that could pop up while on trail. She is not retiring - just taking six months off.

How much can I expect to spend on a major medical policy while through hiking?

You could use COBRA, but you will have to pay full premium.

Garlic
    Images

I just heard something about Friday Health Plans, maybe not available everywhere. A friend used them for a one-month coverage gap and it cost her, a 60s female, just over $600/month.

The market will probably be different in a few years.

A little more information would be helpful. Are you both going at the same time? Does your wife currently have coverage? Is that coverage part of employment and so she is concerned about losing an employer match? Or perhaps does she pay completely out of pocket now but is worried about not having employment to be able to pay the premiums? You say yours will be covered, can you add your wife as a plus one to your plan while she hikes?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Yeah - I knew that COBRA would be an option, but its very expensive. I figured there would be an option for a one-year policy that would cover primarily a major medical event with a higher copay and lower premium. Something tailored specifically for a "vacation" type scenario. We are both very healthy and generally do not go to the Dr., other than for regular check ups - We would rather not chance something big happening on the trail and putting us in a financial bind.

To repeat what Alligator said, more information would be helpful on the questions he posed. Is this a sabbatical that will freeze wages and benefits like insurance, which requires you to have insurance outside the employer? Looking deep into this with company employees who have a good understanding of the group policy and what can be done would be beneficial if you will be returning to work following your trek.

Catastrophic insurance plans may be worth a look, though unless there are serious major injuries or conditions they won't do a lot for you. Typically, these policies are sold to younger people (30ish) and may have age restrictions on their sale. These plans have low monthly premiums and very high deductibles, generally paying costs above the deductible. There have been changes in these policies brought on by changes in the insurance market and medical fields but could be worth looking into. Keep in mind though, these plans look attractive with an average plan costing approximately $180.00 per month with a deductible of around $9,000.00 or more. Most of these policies have you pay all costs up to the deductible amount.

All things considered, the COBRA plan may be the better option as that policy will pay for injuries and conditions that can develop during a long trek versus you footing the bill of a few thousand dollars for simple diagnostics related to a broken bone or ailment. For example, you take a fall and instantly know you have done some damage to your arm. To diagnose the problem Xray/MRI/CAT/Ultrasound may be used to diagnosis and treat the injury that the catastrophic policy likely will not along with the added adventure of getting off trail and getting home.

We will be hiking together. She will not be able to use my insurance. As of right now, she is working and has a policy that is provided for her work. I am thinking she would have to quit the job and her insurance would stop - I know she can use the COBRA option, but its pricy.

I spoke with a friend who owns a business that offers life/health - his suggestion was to explore the "Obama Care" option, depending on our combined income at the time of our hike. Through that channel, she may be able to get a really good policy for a very small amount of money per month if our combined income was around 50K per year.

We are a couple years out before we can make some firm plans on a through hike. I just wondered what other people our age who through hike are doing for health insurance. I figured there may be a specific insurance company who deals with scenarios like this.

We did COBRA once when my wife had been outsourced and I got laid off. While it retains your last employers insurance, it is expensive. The insurance was fine but the Billing was an 'effing disaster. in the course of 12 months, they cut us off (after they cashed the checks) three times! At one time, they MOVED the location we were to mail the check to and never notified us! They basically shrugged it off and said since the checks would be forwarded, but WE'D need to pay our bills and submit the following month! I had an office manager at one of our kids doctor tell us to start mailing it in 6 weeks early. And check monthly that they credited it to us. Total disaster. YYMV.

I'd look at Affordable Care (Obama) insurance. They have tons of plans. We pay to have one of our daughters on it. We have a top tier plan with Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Another option is to contact your existing Home/Car insurance company / broker and explore options.

Another is with your age, AARP.
    I'm also confused in why if you have insurance and will retain that, why not just add her to your policy? I would think that would be best and cheapest.

You are wise to explore options now with time to consider all ideas and options.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Agreed -- go to Healthcare.gov
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

My old company cut me loose in my late fifties. I did the Cobra route and then the ACA. I made to much for the subsidy so I was paying $7,000 a year for a high deductible plan so I could keep contributing to an HSA. I retired last year at 63 and now my income is low enough to get the ACA subsidies. Same plan is $211 a month assuming a higher than expected income. For a single thru hiker with low income its probably the best option but married couples may have to much income to qualify for the subsidies.

Be careful when looking for low cost insurance that someone does not con you into faith based healthcare (Medishare, Samaritan, Liberty Health Care, Christian Health Care Ministries). Many of the plans are made to look like insurance (and pay agents good commissions) but ultimately its a major risk unless you have no assets to lose. Effectively you pay into a pool and if you need health care you hope that others in the plan will voluntarily kick in to pay your bills. If they do not care to pay you are SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    My old company cut me loose in my late fifties. I did the Cobra route and then the ACA. I made to much for the subsidy so I was paying $7,000 a year for a high deductible plan so I could keep contributing to an HSA. I retired last year at 63 and now my income is low enough to get the ACA subsidies. Same plan is $211 a month assuming a higher than expected income. For a single thru hiker with low income its probably the best option but married couples may have to much income to qualify for the subsidies.

I’m in the same age bracket as the OP and my wife and I have never paid over $1500 with no subsidies.

Dougwise would you be able to add you wife to your health coverage if you hiked in alternative years? A self + one might be an affordabable option if staggering the hikes plus it could have other benefits as well: maintaining a residence, caring for pets, hike support, etc. If one hike ends early due to injury for example that might create difficulties. Just wanting to get this potential scenario off the table, no further details needed if not wanting to discuss in depth.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Unfortunately, she does not feel comfortable on a through hike alone. I am talking with a local agent, and I think we have things figured out. These things change around from time to time so he advised to reach out when I am about to pull the trigger and we would go over options. I think the Affordable Care Act is the way to go, as I will be retired with a small income and she will be not working, so we should be in the sweet spot for good insurance at a reasonable rate.
    Thanks to all for your input!
    Doug

DougWise, I poked around a little on this issue and found" Nomad Insurance", sometimes called "Wanderer Insurance), insurance products for travelers, that may be an option. You may have run across this (https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/d...mad-insurance/) but if not it may provide a path to something useful.

I admire the sense of responsibility and ethics in finding an insurance solution, it is not easy nor inexpensive and it is a great help to medical care providers who face existential problems from "walkouts" who do not pay, limiting care options for those who do.

Thanks, Traveler - This is exactly what I was looking for. We will look into this as well as the other options. I am hoping things fall into place next year, so I can attempt a through the following year.
    Cheers!! And happy trails!
    Doug

++ New Posts ++