WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Exped Down Mat and still cold?

Becoming older I'm getting more sensitive to cold and can't sleep properly without sufficient insulation from the bottom.
    My usual setup for years has been just a single Thermarest Prolite Plus L (R-value 3.2, 0,88kg)
    In more recent years I've added a Z-style CCF pad (R-value 1.9, 0,34kg)
    This setup works fine so far for winter hiking, but packsize and weight poses some issue.

So last autumn I purchased an older model with single valve Exped DownMat HL Winter LW (R-value 7, 0.7kg)
    This pad packs really small and is comfortable to sleep on.
    But I was cold during the night, using the same down sleeping bag as always (an older Exped Swan 800g).
    I tried to improve the setup by adding the CCF pad, and I still was cold.
    I also tried to use double down sleeping bags and still was cold from the bottom.
    I went back to using the Thermarest Prolite plus and the CCF and I slept just fine.

My theory is, the sleeping bag is wider than the DownMat pad, so alongside the left&right side of the pad the less insulated bottom side of the bag gets exposed and this seems to be the area where the cold creeps in.
    But then, I also have the impression that pad itself doesnt insulate as well as the sheer numbers would suggest.

So now my question is, whats your experience using a DownMat?
    Does it work for you as advertised ("made for hardest winter expeditions in severe cold")?

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok you are in Austria... You have an interesting location to test this out yourself. Clearly not the mat, Pick a night without a tent and set up in the back yard. How much Micro fleece - such as body armor, layering, and 300 weight fleece Beenie and gloves do you need? you have a wonderful week or two to test what works for you right now. Best part? if the temps are awful and they are not - I checked you can bail and go back to your real bed.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I did kind of research by sleeping in the backyard for several nights in a row, each with temps below freezing.
    I was using my long-sleeve Merino underwear plus a balaclava as nightwear, as always.

Still have no clue how people can feel comfy using this DownMat in harsh winter conditions.

Was the CCF on top of or beneath the down air mat?

I've found that CCF on top is significantly warmer. Also, CCF thickness of 3/8" is a good compromise, effective but not too heavy/bulky.

HERE is the one I use, 3/8" thickness.

I've tried both, on top (slightly better) and under the DownMat. This is the CCF I'm using nowadays: https://www.wechsel-tents.de/isomatt...facila-233132/
    So you are not using the DownMat alone, in winter?

Just wondering why I should carry the DownMat at all, if I'd use a 5/8" CCF (I have one, very sturdy and warm, designed for Winter expeditions in really harsh conditions - but then, it would fill up the backpack just by carrying this pad, way too bulky and heavy).

Is it possible that the down in your pad has just been crushed and is worthless? The downmat I've used was amazingly warm. Way better than any other pad I'd used previously.

Down crushed or otherwise disfunctional? Possible, as it was on sale.
    Unfortunately it was an online purchase, so its hard to get a person to speak to.
    Thanks for the feedback!

It might be worth reaching out to Exped to see if they can offer any support.

Thank you for being helpful.
    There are two questions in my post, one ist the insufficient insulation of the pad itself (which you did a good explanation provide for), and the other is the suspicion that the bag being wider than the pad might uncover the less-insulated bottom side of the bag and let cold creep in there.
    So any idea if the latter could be the case, and how does it work in your case?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Down crushed or otherwise disfunctional? Possible, as it was on sale.
    Unfortunately it was an online purchase, so its hard to get a person to speak to.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    It's also possible that if you bought it second hand the previous owner might have filled it by blowing breath into it. Obviously a big no-no since the moisture collects and is really (really) bad for down.

I've used both TR X-therm and Exped downmat and when it's seriously cold, say 0°F/-17.7°C they need help... i.e. CCF

It was not second hand, but was on sale (because the newer model having a seperate "out"-valve came into the shops).
    Most likely it had been in the shelf rolled-up tight in the original packing for too long.
    I will keep it inflated here, and see if it improves.

Tried to hand it down to my wife, as she is hiking in comfortable weather only, but she insists on using the Thermarest Prolite Plus, stating that she can't sleep well on the DownMat, due to being afraid of rolling off the pad.

Several weeks later, during which I've kept the DownMat inflated all the time, the issue with the insufficient insulation of the pad itself seems to be solved.
    We have a late winter comeback right now here, so I could do a test sleep in weather below freezing and the insulation of the pad works like exspected.

++ New Posts ++