WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is there a possibility of finding work on the AT?

Handyman by trade, Residential remodeling skills.
    I was wondering if there is a way to find odd jobs while on the trail. Is there somewhere to post looking for work?
    I have a savings to spend on the trail, but would like to earn some extra cash or maybe even a trade of work for food, camping space, laundry use and/or shower use.
    I worked all winter, which is usually rare for me.
    So I'm taking a month off to hike the AT and thought maybe I could make something to sustain me a little longer.
    Not trying to get rich or make a living.
    Just be nice not to be broke at the end of it all.
    Or maybe pay for something I couldn't afford otherwise.
    Hope this isn't a bad thing to ask?
    Just thought of it this morning...

no............

Not along the trail itself outside of some of the huts in the White Mountains. Getting off trail to a town would be the only place to do that, but there are literally dozens of youngsters looking to do the same thing. Having seen people try this over the decades, I can't say I have seen much luck with the process.

Journal Entries

I've seen it on occasion, normally it's just a work for stay, but some people have picked up short term gigs at various places. Though it is not something to count on, just a bonus if you find it. Perhaps if you are very good, or a very good salesman you could market yourself to those places, not that I would recommend that as that would take so much away from the hike. Normal those who have taken such gigs leave because they feel the need to get back on trail.

One of the selectman in our town originally stopped in town and worked for the AMC for a 4 or 5 weeks and finished his through hike. He then went to work for the AMC for several years before switching over to being a contractor and has lived up here since.

Cool! Appreciate everyone's input.
    Just a random thought, like my High school teacher once said, "the stupidest question you could ever ask, is the one you don't"
    Stay Safe!

Don't try it, it has been tried before and it is just not practical.

I can see all sorts of hurdles to this, but in my “real world” job, all my clients mention how difficult it is to get work done. In fact one today is still waiting to get a quote on a porch in Lebanon NH, since November. So I could see it working, but that kind of work relies on trust, and you’re going to be a stranger. Maybe, maybe if you called a few GC’s with good reputations along the way and explained what you are looking for and could offer, perhaps. I think it’d be awfully hard to just drop in to a town and find a gig.

Best of luck on the hike and with the wallet.
    Last edited by HankIV; 02-08-2023 at 22:22. Reason: Added, good luck

Garlic
    Images

Whenever I'm offered housing by a trail angel, I offer my handyman/fixit services in return. They're sometimes accepted. I never thought of trying to make a profit.

I'm a member of Warmshowers.org, a bicycle touring network, and one of my European guests made the offer to me. I just so happened to have a roofing project I needed help cleaning up. The day we spent together working was pleasant and memorable for both of us, and it was even a cultural experience for him. He told me of some of the other projects he'd helped with. It was a large part of his US travel experience.

Journal Entries

The more I think about this, I should include that during my AT I maintained a list of people who were interested in my thru hike. I would compose emails about my adventures to sent them out at various intervals as the trail motivated me. On one such email I wrote about receiving a care package as part of one, and how much it helped not only me but some others. The consequence of that I did not expect, but I got multiple requests shortly after of others who would like to send me care packages. I would say that about half of those I emailed sent something. To be honest it got quite annoying to arrange where they all needed to be sent and when, but some of those packages were so perfect for my needs it was sort of a sense of awe and also I knew deep down that I am cared about. They also offered (and sometimes sent in the care packages) cash, and stays, and a food drop in the 100 MW, along with visiting me on trail, and taking me off trail for a couple of nights.

I also got writings from them, and my thru hike meant a lot to them as well and how they really appreciate my emails. I would also get emails from them checking if I'm OK if I didn't reply in a while. Since I composed the emails while hiking, I didn't find it detracted from my hike and did help me as well knowing people were interested in what I was doing. When I got back one of them took my writings and bound them in a book form and presented to me.

All and all that didn't so much as reduce my cost, however what it mainly did is lift my standards, staying over in a real bed when I would have tented, an extra zero, ate at a restaurant a bit more often (usually with cash they had such a suggested use, like next time you are in a town get a good meal on me)

Besides finding work in general not being practical or reliable, it's going to be hard finding any handyman jobs when you don't have a tool pouch or even any tools with you. I can't think of anybody that would hire someone without a tool pouch to do work that requires having one.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

A good handyman (or woman) is always in demand in hostels along the trail for work for stay, which is already not bad at all. Put the word out there and they will find you.

Quote Originally Posted by TinFoilHat View Post
    I was wondering if there is a way to find odd jobs while on the trail. Is there somewhere to post looking for work?
    I have a savings to spend on the trail, but would like to earn some extra cash or maybe even a trade of work for food, camping space, laundry use and/or shower use.
    So I'm taking a month off to hike the AT and thought maybe I could make something to sustain me a little longer.
    Not disagreeing with the other comments, but it sure seems like I've read someone's account of a through-hike that included a period of carpentry/handyman work, and it seems like it was in Hot Springs. Maybe AWOL's book? FWIW.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TinFoilHat View Post

You can always ask a farmer as you walk by if he needs a roof shingled or a shed painted. The conversation may lead to something more. Of course, some of those Farmers may detest hikers, but those are the risks you take.

Journal Entries
    Images

no ....... Nothing personal
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++