WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is there a "Hate" thread or "What Not to Do" on the trail?

I "Hate" vloggers, Muir and Thoreau quotes, douche bags who play radio/music real loud or ones who play (cant play) an instrument around a campfire!
    Vloggers are fine if you keep to yourself and have respect for strangers in the background. Selfie takers need to take one step back further... off the cliff.
    Music is fine if I'm camping for the weekend...I guess.
    I'm out on the trail to get away from the world...

Quote Originally Posted by TinFoilHat View Post
    I "Hate" vloggers, Muir and Thoreau quotes, douche bags who play radio/music real loud or ones who play (cant play) an instrument around a campfire!
    Vloggers are fine if you keep to yourself and have respect for strangers in the background. Selfie takers need to take one step back further... off the cliff.
    I dub thee "forum curmudgeon."

(but I'm with you!)
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Ha! Yeah I set myself up for that one...
    However, Curmudgeon has a nicer ring to it than "crotchety old man"
    Guess I'll change my trail name...
    Thanks!

(Still "hate" that stuff)

vloggers.......are in the eye of the beholder. Some are very good, most not so much.

I absolutely hate when others start talking politics on the trail. Whether I agree or disagree with someone on the topic at hand, I really don't want to talk about it. Not out on the trail. Now, if you want to discuss the intricacies of LNT then I will probably join in. But which candidate you want to vote for or should we have soldiers in a certain country or my views on immigration... not going there while I am out there.

I prefer to talk about things that we have in common - like backpacking!

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries
    Images

If the world comes to your camp step further back into the woods.

I don’t entirely disagree, but the trail is better for liking and loving, than hating. If you’re hating you haven’t really gotten away. When you love that view, or grueling brook, or trilling birdsong—-then you’ve gotten away.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

That doesn't always work with trails (particularly the AT) - if you're on the trail, you're part of the crowd.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would suggest hiking the PCT or CDT to "get away". When you are on those trails and there are "crowds", and you are ready to stop for the day and find yourself standing in that established campsite that everyone uses, take a deep breath, drop the pack, and venture off 100-300 yards and 95% of the time you will find an incredible, rarely used site to call your personal home for the night.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I also like to "get away". I am generally forced to be connected to the world and my work 24/7 (Email/On-Call/Txt/Teams.......) When I hike, I generally find a single flat camping spot facing east and camp alone. Its nice to not hear anything from anyone, get a nice quiet night of sleep (with out waiting for my phone to ring and tell me about something to fix) and wake up to a nice sunrise out of the tent door. I can always spend a lunch at a shelter and converse with other hikers if I need some company. If there are conversations I dont enjoy, I just leave and find another spot to eat my lunch. Problem solved.

I dislike it when people burn trash in a campfire to lighten their load. Problems that can come from that: the smell of foods on the trash can attract a variety of animals big to small, some of the trash will not burn completely and animals may be attracted to eat the debris and cause negative health effects (birds shouldn't be eating your plastic wrappers) and especially people who burn plastic, mylar or things other than just paper.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    I absolutely hate when others start talking politics on the trail. Whether I agree or disagree with someone on the topic at hand, I really don't want to talk about it. Not out on the trail. Now, if you want to discuss the intricacies of LNT then I will probably join in. But which candidate you want to vote for or should we have soldiers in a certain country or my views on immigration... not going there while I am out there.

I prefer to talk about things that we have in common - like backpacking!
    gee, imagine having a discussion with someone FTF rather than from behind a keyboard! You can always just say "I don't talk politics/sports/current events/etc on the trail." Sometimes keeping your mouth shut and watching things play out can be entertaining.

Though, I agree that I'd rather talk hiking.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Thanks everyone for your input.
    I wasn't trying to promote "hate", sadly nowadays everyone takes things to literal.
    Call me Old School, an Ahole or ignorant, I still use the word retarded and other non political correct language.
    Yes, dislike is a better word.

I have to admit, y'all have opened my eyes to perceive certain things and situations a different way and I'm thankful of that!

Stay Safe!

++ New Posts ++