WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default (un)Packing Fears ~ Heights

So are there scary sections or potentially dangerous sections of the AT?

I am not overly scared of heights but as I have aged I have become more cautious and careful. Wondering what fears I may need to conquer as I traverse the AT going NOBO. Some photos or references will let me mentally deal with those fears in advance and build my confidence.

For reference in my younger (bolder) days I have skydived and descended mountain passes on my bicycle at 60+mph and even now I am pretty confident in my abilities. However a couple years ago I attempted Angels Landing in Zion and chose to turn back after a couple of chain sections. I was right at the edge of my comfort level but there were so many people I felt like I was not in complete control of my situation. Perhaps with the permit system I will try it again in the future. For reference after bailing we left from Scouts Landing and headed up the little rise to the West Rim Trail. We were greeted with incredible (similar) views with less than a dozen people the rest of the afternoon.

Angels Landing.jpg

In my area some folks have issues at Webster Cliffs on the east side of Crawford Notch. The AT runs along the top of the cliffs. There are trees to the right so those with issues just keep to the trees. Some folks even have issues along the Franconia Ridge on the AT, particularly south of the Lincoln summit, and a couple of 30 or 40 foot sections coming off the summit. There is also a stretch of exposed ridgeline for a about 3/4s of a mile prior to the tablelands on Katahdin. Its not a knife edge as such but there is steep drop off on either side. At its narrowest point it is probably 50 feet wide with plenty of things to hold onto but it seems to set some folks off.

Images

The climb up South Kinsman in NH is fairly exposed (a steep scramble over open boulders, cliffs). And of course Katahdin.

There are a few areas along the AT that I have traveled which elevated the "Spidey sense of danger" when moving across, through, or over rock ledges and precipices. Fortunately, many vista points and trails that take you over exposed ledge without much between you and a fall have bad weather routes that take you around the feature. That said, I have found a few that didn't have the work around and managed to get past them by simply looking down at my foot placements and moving slowly. Not sure that will work for everyone, but it does for me.

Typically I can get across most any height related part of the trail this way when the terrain is uphill. It's the very steep downhill grades over slab rock having lichen and moss on them can be of high concern for me. Fortunately most of the time I have been with someone who would go first and get a feel for the slickness of the rock. Without someone with me, I have found taking my footwear and socks off gives me an immediate sense of conditions to make it down a steep face safely.

However for what its worth, when I am out for a while, I find that my concerns with height are lessened by routine exposure to various high points and ledges.

Images

I suggest trying the Precipice Trail in Acadia NP. If you can do that hike, you can do anything on the AT.
    It's all good in the woods.

Thank you for details and suggestions, Traveler.

Journal Entries

There are many places on the AT where we marveled at the hard work done by the trail builders. We talked about how their efforts made the trail safer and easier for us to hike. We were grateful.

And then there were other places where we cursed the trail builders, Are you trying to KILL ME?!?!? How could you route the trail over this cliff! What were you thinking!?!?! The stand-out example of the latter is the descent from North Carter (NOBO). It was slick steep bare rock that looked like a water chute. If I slip, how far will I fall? Will I go over the edge? We made it, but it was scary. I recommend good grippy shoes, a strong sense of caution, and good weather.

The steel bars in the rocks up cliffs in Maine and the Mahoosucs always add some interest.

Let’s not forget the northbound ascent out of Pinkham Notch. Best not to look behind you if you are height-challenged. And then there’s a large boulder to ascend, and the rebar only goes partway up. I made it, thankfully, but I would never want to try that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Typically I can get across most any height related part of the trail this way when the terrain is uphill. It's the very steep downhill grades over slab rock having lichen and moss on them can be of high concern for me.
    This is very true for me as well -- going up steep pitches will make me anxious, but navigating DOWN is the most nerve-wracking. Lichen and moss, ice and mud, even acorns and leaves (both wet and dry) will definitely get my adrenaline up. And to be honest, it doesn't even have to be particularly high or super steep for me to be extra aware of how Gravity Is The Law. My worst injury [knock on wood] happened as I was walking blithely along a beautifully flat, dry granite ledge in Maine.

It's pretty common to experience increased anxiety with heights (among other things) the older we get, but as Traveler said, it does seem to get a little better the more we get out and expose ourselves to the experience (systematic desensitization.) Then the challenge becomes guarding against hubris & complacency.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    There are many places on the AT where we marveled at the hard work done by the trail builders. We talked about how their efforts made the trail safer and easier for us to hike. We were grateful.

And then there were other places where we cursed the trail builders, Are you trying to KILL ME?!?!?
    This. A hundred times, this!!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Interesting, in that I've also found a couple of phobias have emerged as I've gotten older (I'm 68.) Not debilitating but quite real, and things I'd have paid no attention to in my thirties. Not sure if that's some sort of survival mechanism or the early signs of my brain ossifying.

I’ve noticed more stress with heights over the years. One trick is to follow someone on the climb or descent. It is reassuring to see their path. I had mild trouble on south kinsman, going nobo. There was one climb with a significant drop that made me nervous, but I was following a couple and just kept going. When you recall that both a 5 year old and an 83 yo have done the AT, it can’t be too dangerous. Most falls with injuries seem to be tripping over roots or rocks on rather boring trail, not falling off the kinsmans.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I’ve noticed more stress with heights over the years. One trick is to follow someone on the climb or descent. It is reassuring to see their path. I had mild trouble on south kinsman, going nobo. There was one climb with a significant drop that made me nervous, but I was following a couple and just kept going. When you recall that both a 5 year old and an 83 yo have done the AT, it can’t be too dangerous. Most falls with injuries seem to be tripping over roots or rocks on rather boring trail, not falling off the kinsmans.
    Absolutely true. I tripped a lot, but fell less often. I credit that to incorporating a lot of balancing challenges into my exercise. I would run on curbs, like a balance beam, really adds a core element to it. Dumbbell exercises standing on one of those half rubber balls. Standing on one foot while doing other things.

I would guess that injury from falls (more precisely landing) is the number one physical reason thru hikes end prematurely. To Chef4’s point, look how many folk of a variety of ages and experience complete it.

chef4 is right based on my personal experiences. It is the easy trail that suddenly surprises you when it tries to kill you. On dangerous terrain you're more likely paying close attention to each step, but hauling butt down the trail not as much sometimes. Long Trail scared me on a few cliffs last year, but it was a root that caught my heel on a flat stretch of trail that finally put me on the ground on like Day 20 or something
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The steel bars in the rocks up cliffs in Maine and the Mahoosucs always add some interest.
    Don't forget the short NOBO section of steel bars heading down Moosilauke before heading back up South Kinsman. You can't see out of the trees but rocks are steep and slick.

The fact that you even considered Angels Landing tells me you shouldn't have problems on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Don't forget the short NOBO section of steel bars heading down Moosilauke before heading back up South Kinsman. You can't see out of the trees but rocks are steep and slick.

The fact that you even considered Angels Landing tells me you shouldn't have problems on the AT.
    I know opinions on slack packing vary, but you can hike moosilauke south, while heading nobo, if you stay at a hostel. Hiker’s welcome is right off the trail, or you can use the notch. When going south you can appreciate the falls while climbing, instead of focusing on that steep descent (particularly if the rocks are wet) and missing the view. It’s one of a couple of days up there that are better heading south instead of north.

Journal Entries

The one small foothold piece of rebar near the beginning of the boulder scramble ascending Katahdin NOBO, and the boulder scramble descending the Abol Slide Trail on Katahdin . Ascending South Kinsman NOBO also comes to mind...
    Appalachian Trail completion 2022
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Benton Mackaye Trail 2023
    Foothills Trail 2023

If you have been on Angel's Landing, especially any of the chained segments, you'll probably find the AT a little more tame. I experienced a little acrophobia on Angel's Landing myself. The first time in my life I was uncomfortable with heights and I'm a retired firefighter. (Fort Wayne) I agree the West Rim has magnificent views of the main canyon.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++