WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 15 Days in a December Rainstorm

This short backpacking trip starts on Nov 28 in Beehouse Gap on Citico Creek road in TN and includes these trails---

Pine Ridge in Citico Creek wilderness.
    Fodderstack Ridge Heading North/Backtrack heading south to Cherry Log Gap.
    Trail 149 Connector to Cold Spring Gap on the BMT.
    Skyway roadwalk to Flats Mt, backtrack to Skyway and out.

With trip length at 15 days, it rained 169 hours out of a trip total of 360 hours. So I pulled a total of 6 zero rain days in my tent.

I get dropped off in Beehouse Gap to start a short downhill roadwalk to Citico Creek and my first CS. Pack of choice is a Dan McHale at around 95 lbs.

Some of my food load---Good To Go meals (terrible!)---tubs of hummus and a couple blocks of organic cheese.

I spend my first night on Citico Creek and then Day 2 climb Pine Ridge with a full water load and stop here at Pine Ridge Camp for a big all night storm---my first rain event.

I leave PR Camp and tool up the ever climbing trail and dig thru some dead leaves to discover Pine Ridge's hidden spring water source for my next CS up on Fodderstack Ridge. A pump filter comes in real handy here.

I reach the end of brushy Pine Ridge trail where it jcts Fodderstack Ridge and set up camp in a butt cold wind.

I use to curse Hot Hand packets but now love them---and so I pop them open for hand warmth when packing up.

The trail heading north on Fodderstack Ridge from Pine Ridge jct is dangerously steep and very narrow so I slap on my microspikes for traction to get me down to Mill Gap without falling and snapping an important bone.

As I backpack north on Fodderstack Ridge I drop down hard to Mill Gap and climb hard up to Crowder Camp as shown. It's close to water on both sides of the ridge. I'm wearing my old Icebreaker tops---a 260 wt under a 320 weight, both zip necks. Heavy and warm.

The original plan was to leave Crowder Camp and head down Crowder Branch trail and tie into Rocky Flats trail and come out in Warden's Field and cross Citico Creek but my weather radio pinged a full week of rain coming and I didn't think I could cross the creek so I instead backtracked Fodderstack Ridge trail this time south and rest on my climb up Big Fodderstack Mt.

I set up camp near Cherry Log Gap on the ridge and pull out my peanut butter and ezekiel bread for lunch.

I leave the ridge and Snow Camp near Cherry Log Gap and pull 149 Connector trail down to Birch Creek where I get a two day water supply to camp in Barrel Gap for the upcoming storms.

I reach Barrel Gap on Trail 149 and prepare for the storms. I end up spending four nights here in a neverending rain.

Welcome to TN backpacking.

Another night in paradise but olde Hilleberg keeps me dry from the top down and the bottom up.

On my fifth miserable day in Barrel Gap I get a two hour window of no rain and pack up so I can reach Cold Spring Gap which has a phone sweet spot so I can check in with Little Mitten.

I make it to Cold Spring Gap on the BMT and get plastered with another two days of rain so another zero is pulled.

While hanging out in camp I brew up hot nettle tea with honey and it's dang good.

A Day 12 trash fire during a brief rain lull.

On Day 13 after a week of rain I see a strange yellow orb in the sky and it scares me.

On Day 13 I finally do some righteous backpackaging and leave Cold Spring south to Beech Gap for a break.

A long 9 mile day gets me from Cold Gap to the top of Flats Mt where I stop at the trailhead for a break.

On Day 21 after a couple days on Flats Mt I backtrack to its trailhead and reach the road for my evac.

Day 21 ends the trip as I wait for Little Mitten to take my butt home.

Images

The sunshine brings a smile to your face Screenshot 2023-01-31 5.06.07 PM.png

How many books did you read during 6 zero rain days ?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The sunshine brings a smile to your face Screenshot 2023-01-31 5.06.07 PM.png

How many books did you read during 6 zero rain days ?
    I bring two books on this trip---an internet "book roll" and an actual book, all burned.

Awesome, Walter. Thanks for the report and for the lovely "strange yellow orbe" sunshine picture.

BTW, assuming that this was the first test run of your brand new Featurephone:
    How did it work?

Images

Sigh, I wish I was out there right now. That looks lovely, even with all the cold and rain. Thanks for sharing these reports for those of us stuck in a cubicle!
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    BTW, assuming that this was the first test run of your brand new Featurephone:
    How did it work?
    I still had my old Nokia on this trip but will soon be entering Big Frog wilderness with my new flip phone---Nokia 2760 at $15 a month. Results forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    Sigh, I wish I was out there right now. That looks lovely, even with all the cold and rain. Thanks for sharing these reports for those of us stuck in a cubicle!
    Thanks for the input. My tent is also a cubicle of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I still had my old Nokia on this trip but will soon be entering Big Frog wilderness with my new flip phone---Nokia 2760 at $15 a month. Results forthcoming..
    Looking forward to some Frog action, seems like it’s been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Looking forward to some Frog action, seems like it’s been a while.
    That is, seems like it’s been a while since a Big Frog (or Cohutta) trip report from you. Lookin forward to it.

Images

There are gods who hike among us. Enjoyable read and admiration, as always.

Default 15 Days in a December Rainstorm

Thanks for the report. Assume these trails were in reasonable shape or did you have to spend time with the loppers and pruners?

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    That is, seems like it’s been a while since a Big Frog (or Cohutta) trip report from you. Lookin forward to it.
    The last time I was in the Frog was April 2019---so it's about time I revisit the Amphibian---and plan to pull all the trails---Licklog, Big Frog, West Fork, Fork Ridge, Wolf Ridge, Chestnut Mt, Grassy Gap etc.

++ New Posts ++