WhiteBlaze Pages 2023
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $5 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3 Day hike near Asheville, AT Loop

There is a spot on the AT where it nearly loops back on itself near Asheville. I hiked it 7 yrs ago and may again if I can find info. Anyone know what I am asking about

Thanks.

Journal Entries

Here's the interactive map if you wanna study it a while. There's a lot of places where the trail twists and turns. And Asheville is far enough from the trail that it doesn't really help you zero in on an area.

Easy Strider, section hiker hiker33's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=mulligan54;2299333]There is a spot on the AT where it nearly loops back on itself near Asheville. I hiked it 7 yrs ago and may again if I can find info. Anyone know what I am asking about
    Not that close to Asheville, but the description matches the Standing Indian area west of Franklin, NC. The AT makes an 180 loop around a basin, and with numerous side trails there are opportunities for loop hikes lasting one to several days.
    ===================
    Easy Strider
    Section Hiker

M to S Trail is near Asheville, but not the AT. But the Standing Indian loop near Franklin is great.

The Kimsey Creek Trail makes a nice loop with the AT near Franklin, or a great shortcut for the non-purist.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

Closer to Asheville, I walked north from Davenport Gap on the AT and looped back on a side trail to the west followed by a long road walk. I remember seeing possible campsites along the road before it lost much elevation. Sorry I do not remember more details.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

++ New Posts ++