WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Base layer for AT thru hike

I am looking at possibly replacing my base layer which is currently silk. I pretty much avoid overly cold nights but am looking to see if I can attempt a thru in 2024. I am wondering which merino wool layers are out there specifically looking for input from the women here but will appreciate all comments.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Just wanted to mention that sun hoodies are especially popular nowadays. Some are made from Merino Wool.

I really enjoy my merino wool base layers. Have a lightweight Smartwool T-Shirt that is great anytime. Also have a long sleeve IBEX merino hoodie with quarter zip I use mostly for sleeping, probably about 150 weight.

As you get recommendations and read reviews note that the SW Marketing Department got creative and moved away from the traditional labels that were helpful and informative:
    Smartwool is moving away from the 150 and 250 labels, which indicated the weight of merino in the garment in grams, i.e., 150g or 250g. Instead, the new names emphasize the base layers’ intended use. All Smartwool 250 products are now labeled “Classic Thermal,” while the lighter 150 products have been rechristened “Classic All-Season Merino.”

^
    I gave some heavy complaints a couple months ago about not listing what the weight is anymore and asking what they are. After a few people that either gave me some general pre made response or didn't have a clue, they finally had someone email me and explain that it's in the URL and somewhere else in the product description. I noticed it was sometimes where they said but not always, nobody even explained the above to me so they must have just came up with that. I use 150 top and bottom and 250 over when it real cold. I got the 250 hoody, not zip.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Base layers are part of the sleep system, in my mind. I went SOBO in June, with a 30F quilt and a R4 pad. Had 200W icebreaker tops and bottoms. I would say I’m a middle of the road sleeper, and there were a few nights I shivered a bit early on in Maine. I hit Damascus in early Oct knowing I needed more warmth. Rather than get a new quilt or bag, I got a set of 260W top and bottom. And a really thick set of sleep socks. Also kept the 200W. Wore both a few nights. Was only chilly once with that set up, on top of Siler Bald with winds howling and about 25F. Still slept though.

My idea was I added about what I would have swapping to a warmer bag, but I then had the ability to add a layer to my day wear if it got really cold. I would use the same system again, worked for me.

I am sensitive to scratchy wool, but have no problems with the merino.

Transitioning from silk, you may want to consider 150-175 weight wool. When base layers are needed, I use 150 weight zip-neck from a company known for breaking ice. It was professionally treated with permethrin and has held up for >7 years. My light-weight wool tights are from a north-facing company and have some mended spots. Like you, I avoid overly cold nights and frequently carry a light, versatile down bag. My mid-weight synthetic base layers moved to sleep-clothes. Although I own 200 weight zip-neck, have not needed on AT sections... yet.

Sub 150gw wool garments tend to wear too fast when used as base or trail shirts for me. I have tried some in the 110-130gw range and tear them apart when soaked in sweat on trail. 150gw makes a nice base or stand alone trail shirt for me. I have used SW, Houdini, WoolPro, Smith, Wuru and others all with good result. The ones with a hoodie are nice for keeping bugs and sun off. I especially like that style for in camp.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I forgot to mention that I got my first set, the 200W treated at InsectShield along with most of my other clothes. Just one tick for a whole AT Thru. I thought that was pretty good. Every year the ticks seem to develop a new weapon. Best to keep them away.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Base layers are part of the sleep system, in my mind. I went SOBO in June, with a 30F quilt and a R4 pad. Had 200W icebreaker tops and bottoms. I would say I’m a middle of the road sleeper, and there were a few nights I shivered a bit early on in Maine. I hit Damascus in early Oct knowing I needed more warmth. Rather than get a new quilt or bag, I got a set of 260W top and bottom. And a really thick set of sleep socks. Also kept the 200W. Wore both a few nights. Was only chilly once with that set up, on top of Siler Bald with winds howling and about 25F. Still slept though.

My idea was I added about what I would have swapping to a warmer bag, but I then had the ability to add a layer to my day wear if it got really cold. I would use the same system again, worked for me.

I am sensitive to scratchy wool, but have no problems with the merino.
    Yes. This is primarily how I use mine, for camp and sleeping. I use my rain pants over my shorts if it's too windy and cold when I am hiking and I have extra top layers if needed as well when hiking or taking stops during the day, mostly when stopping. For a little lady I heat up quite well when hiking but I sleep cold so durability isn't "such a factor" asa my silk has lasted me for over 10 years.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Tace View Post
    Thanks but no thanks to premethin for me. I have lived a good chunk of my life outdoors and most bugs do not like me. I can count the number of ticks I have ever had on me, none attached. They just don't seem to care for me. Along with other insects. Of course ants like me and I actually get blisters if they bite me but that's a different story.

++ New Posts ++