WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default book review The Appalachian Trail: A Biography by Philip D’Anieri

I imagine if you see my name in this section you automatically think, free books! But not this time. I am writing a short review of a book I received for Christmas.

The Appalachian Trail: A Biography by Philip D’Anieri

This is a biography of the AT, not of a person. It goes back to the mapping of the Appalachian Mountains, the development of outdoor leisure pursuits, and on to familiar names commonly associated with the early AT such as MacKaye and Avery. There is a review of the growing pains, eminent domain, and funding. It finishes up with a modern take on the AT including Bryson and a review of different sections of the trail.

This is a fairly easy and interesting read. It even has a little gossip for lack of a better term. However, it is not a humor book nor is it a hiker memoir. At around 250 pages I doubt it covers all there is to know. It has a rather extensive bibliography so one can pursue further if desired.
    Last edited by perrymk; 01-18-2023 at 10:03. Reason: Update

cool! I am going to look into it
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

It was a good read that was appropriately titled.

Agree, gives you a great perspective on what a tenuous construction the trail is and how it has evolved over the years.

I got the book as a gift last Christmas and enjoyed reading it.

++ New Posts ++