WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: PA Midway Point

Default PA Midway Point

Hello y'all!
    I'm new to this site, actually first forum I've EVER joined, anyway quick question;
    I plan to flip flop hike the Appalachian trail this year 2023, and was wondering what month is best to start Southbound from the Midway Point in Pennsylvania to Georgia?

Thank y'all for y'alls time and effort in such a knowledgeable site!

Stay Safe,
    TinFoilHat

Well a lot goes into that, such as your hot/cold tolerance, conditioning, schedule flexibility and budget.

But assuming you’re going south all the way first, then back to midpoint and all the way north…

To be prudent, plan on finishing 1 Oct to give you a weather cushion. Assuming by that point you can average 18 miles/day all in, meaning with zeros and neros. 1100 /18 = 61, so you’d want to be back to midpoint 1 August.

Assuming for the first half you can only average 12 miles/day, 1100/12= 92, so latest start date would be 1 May.

Not sure I’d want to be doing the south end of the trail in July, because I’m not that heat tolerant. But thinking about it this way, the reverse seems pretty good. Hit Katahdin 1 Aug, that sounds nice.

YMMV (literally and figuratively) HYOH, BOL

Oh yes…welcome to White Blaze. A great place to get info that isn’t positioned for maximizing “likes”

August.

If you're a fast hiker, then early September works too.

Days grow short as you approach the winter solstice.

Welcome to whiteblaze! Can you clarify what type of flip-flop you plan on doing?
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Images

FYI, the exact AT midpoint isn't accessible by vehicle - it's just marked by a sign next to the trail. But you could start somewhere nearby - Pine Grove Furnace State Park seems like a good choice.
    It's all good in the woods.

Since you live in PA, which ever point on the AT which is easiest for you to get to would work. Pine Grove is good as you'd start on the easy part of PA.

Start in mid-April. When you get to Springer, flip up to Maine. It will probably be July by the time you get to Springer and Maine is more pleasant to hike in then PA in July!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the info! You definitely make some valued points and have given me something to think about. Appreciate you taking tge time to respond!
    Stay Safe!

Thanks for the info! You definitely make some valued points and have given me something to think about. Appreciate you taking the time to respond!
    Stay Safe!

++ New Posts ++