WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Leighigh to Delaware Water Gap

Hi All,
    I’m hoping to complete this section within the next week or so.
    Does anyone have news about current conditions there?
    Thanks.
    Better Than Expected (FF 2015)

I can't say, but just hope it isn't icy. That's a rough section, the worst in PA.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks Slo-go’en ��

I assume you mean Lehigh Gap to Delaware Water Gap. I agree with Slogoen, lots of pointy rocks, but I've only hiked it in the summer. There is a decent, and normally kinda fun, climb right out of Lehigh Gap but it also has a winter route you could use. I also recall having to go off the ridge quite a ways to find water whenever I hiked in that section. Some nice views to be had and there is a small waterfall right before you reach DWG if I recall. Sorry I don't know current conditions but let us know how it goes for you when you get back from your trip, happy hiking!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I can't say, but just hope it isn't icy. That's a rough section, the worst in PA.
    Agree, that's the piece of trail that gives Pennsylvania most of its reputation for rocks on the AT.

I just finished the 40 miles from Port Clinton to Palmerton this past Saturday. Depending on the side of the ridge you were on, it was either dry, or frozen over with snow all around. There were several miles of gravel road trail with a thick layer of ice you could have made great time on if you brought ice skates. I was shuffling, hopping, and going around and it really slowed me down. That said, I think the warmer temps we're experiencing now is going to take care of that by the time you hit the trail. Due to the melt going on at the time, every water source I checked - even the seasonal and unreliable ones, were ripping pretty good. PA water is still spaced out pretty far in places and I had to plan my water carries and camping accordingly.
    Honestly, I'd go into your trip expecting the water sources to return to how they were pre-freeze. Which means hit and miss. If you have an extra day on the front end of your trip you could always try to cache (but hide it well, I'm hearing PA ATC and rangers are destroying caches). Or bring extra carrying capacity.
    It is what it is.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

The spring#3 at LeRoy Smith shelter is always running great. Sorry it’s a 1/2 mile hike downhill. With the recent rain spring #2 should be good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

++ New Posts ++